Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LHD & RHD H4 Lamps - Difference??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 04:50 PM
scupper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LHD & RHD H4 Lamps - Difference??

Just completed wiring in separate relay circuit for my headlamps (and changing the failing column light/flasher/wiper switch assembly) - now with brighter lights, I really notice that on Hi-Beam, the lights shine up and to the LEFT, rather than up and to the right, which would illuminate the side of the road. On low beam, the light is where it should be.

Then I noticed that the actual glass on my H4 have a trapizoid shape etched on the left side of lens - from the center and going out to the edge of the lens. Does this trapizoid etching focus the high beams? For those on this side of the pond with H4s, are the trapizoid etchings on the left side or the right side of your glass lens. I purchased these H4 on EBAY from a supplier in Canada - but I'm wondering if he was unloading H4s made for RHD cars?

Chuck
93 C2
Old 10-11-2003, 10:09 AM
dave-C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Chuck

I think your lamps are OK. The trapezoidal etching on my H4's go from the center to the left side of the car. The lights are Bosch H4 marked 02 HCR E4 20 and were sourced from AJUSA.

I have to admit that I haven't really fine tuned the alignment - I think both adjustment screws need to be played with whenever either is moved - but my shop did a major improvement on aiming them after I installed them myself.

The point is that the low beams are already quite high and therefore the high beams seem to be too high and give the impression of being almost indiscriminate as they light up everything - left, right and center.

I don't use the high beams very much since the low beams seem to be very effective and are tolerated by oncoming traffic.

Dave
93C2
Old 10-12-2003, 09:06 AM
scupper
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave - Yep, that's the same number appearing on my H4 lens. Guess the trapizoidal etching on the left side is correct for LHD cars in the US. Thanks for the message

Interested to hear if the RHD cars in the UK, with H4s, have the trapizoidal etching on the RIGHT side of the lens. What say you mates?

Chuck
93 C2

Quick Reply: LHD & RHD H4 Lamps - Difference??