Sponsored by:

Which (MOMO?) HUb for custom S wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 12:19 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Which (MOMO?) HUb for custom S wheel

I am getting ready to install a custom steering wheel on my car. I have searched through the various post on steering wheels but none seem to address or get into specifics that I have found -
The question is - which hub system will operate the turn signals and allow the horn to be wired up and or additional steering wheel switches.
The first hub I obtained did not allow the horn to work nor the turn signal cancel switch. It had a large brass ring on the back side which ( i suppose) was designed to make contact with a spring loaded contact that was not on the steering column accessory support plate..
Once you remove the airbag contact plate that also hoses the horn contact there is no other contact. The airbag plate also has the turn signal cancel tang on the backside so once this is removed the new HUB has to have this tang on the back.
It is like the hub should come with an additional plate ring that replaces the airbag ring that allows for the horn and turn signal cancellation. But the hub I obtained did not come with this.
Any suggestions or comments on what is the correct hub and what it comes with or what part I need to order to get all functional.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:38 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need this hub,
http://www.amazon.com/Momo-7004-Steering-Wheel-Porsche/dp/B000G0PM4I http://www.amazon.com/Momo-7004-Steering-Wheel-Porsche/dp/B000G0PM4I
and part number 964.652.104.00 to make your horn work.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:40 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The Momo hub has a tap on the bottom that activates the turn signal cancel. The kit includes a plate that fit on top of the hub to which you attach the horn wire. Hope that answers your question. You can see the tap and the plate in the link.

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/images/...Icb/s-l225.jpg
Old 03-27-2016, 12:54 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Thanks all. Greatly appreciate the info. The I got didn't have the tab for the turn signal and the extra part to link the horn is probably the missing key that I did not have. Again THANK YOU. Love this forum.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:56 PM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Once you pull the airbag clock spring off it looks like this. No way to make the horn work because the horn contact is integrated into the clock spring. ONce removed...

You need to get a horn contact from an older car like a non airbag 1989 C4 or older car. Make sure part number does NOT start with 928. The two parts looks the same but will not fit. Get the one for 964.

Snap it into place. That's what will contact with the metal ring on the back of the MOMO or other hub

Old 03-27-2016, 02:03 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Teddy - that is great detail info - pictures really help make all clearn - thanks for going into detail - makes very clear.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:08 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Exactly you will need to trim the housing a bit too for it to fit over the adapter. Quick work with a Dremel. Also adjust spacing of the switch mechanism to the horn spring I had mine too tight and it would honk horn in corners lol. And remove the airbag clock spring unplug under dash not needed
Old 03-28-2016, 03:07 AM
FormulaRX
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Exactly you will need to trim the housing a bit too for it to fit over the adapter. Quick work with a Dremel. Also adjust spacing of the switch mechanism to the horn spring I had mine too tight and it would honk horn in corners lol. And remove the airbag clock spring unplug under dash not needed
What do you mean had your horn spring on too tight? I'm trying to figure out why my horn is acting up as well. Went for a drive and suddenly horn went off as if I depressed the button and held it...but I wasn't. It was embarrassing. Had to quickly pop the hood and pull the fuse LOL
Old 03-28-2016, 10:56 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

The switch mechanism is held by a bolt that clamps it to the steering column. If you remove the cover clamshell, you can look in the side and see the spring piece. First, make sure that piece is installed right as per the picture above. It simply slips in and the bottom of it there is a small nub the is in a hole on the bracket that holds it at the angle you see above. Adjust the spacing by sliding the switch mechanism on tho lim so th Spring is compressed but not too compressed. You can see it when you look in at the side from the right.

My guess is your spacing is off.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:47 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the great advise and input. Certainly made the job easier once I got into it knowing what to do. Because I have a Luisi steering wheel and used a Momo hub I had to use an adapter to mount the wheel to the hub. I had to do a little machine work and filing on the horn adapter and the hub adapter to get them to fit together. But all was an afternoon job and it worked and am please with the result. Also took time to remove the passenger side AirBag and make a light weight cover for that area. Anyway here are a few picture of the finished products. Again thanks for all the feed back and information.
Attached Images    
Old 04-01-2016, 06:09 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I really like that steering wheel, fits right in there with the rest.

Quick Reply: Which (MOMO?) HUb for custom S wheel