Sponsored by:

OT - Boxster coupe. What's the point?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 10:49 AM
JoeW
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An "outsider's" pov

Eric Gustafson, in the November Sports Car International writes his column about how he prefers lightweight coupes over roadsters as sports cars -- he's not talking tradition, just 'fun drives':

"That's why I'm so excited about the very real prospect of Porsche building a coupe version of the Boxster. Several of us around the office have long wished that Porsche would build such a car. Think of it: A Boxster that weights less, has a stiffer structure -- and therefore better handling -- and comes with a lower price tag, which is something the Boxster has desperately needed since its debut. What's not to like? Spy shots suggest that Porsche is developing such a version for the next generation Boxster, so it is still a couple years off. We can't wait.

"But other manufacturers need to step up to the plate. Honda, how about an S2000 coupe? And Mazda, please keep the upcoming RX-7 small and light. Or better yet, finally build us a Miata coupe."

Demographics, anyone?
Best, J
Old 10-20-2003, 06:26 PM
Baron009
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for reviving this, but I noticed it a bit late.

IMO a boxster coupe is an amazing idea. I might be looking to buy a brand new car a few years after I graduate, and although I would love to get a 996, I have to be realistic and a 911 will be outta my price range for some time yet. Then there is the boxster, however, being a convertable and all its not very appealing, and I would rather spend my money getting a 330ci or something. A boxster coupe on the other hand would be perfect. A reliable, sporty Porsche without the extensive pricetag associated with the 911.

Hey, if they can make an SUV, whats wrong with making a boxster coupe?

Quick Reply: OT - Boxster coupe. What's the point?