Sponsored by:

Sunroof headliner is starting to sag

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 08:32 PM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sunroof headliner is starting to sag

The headliner on my sunroof is starting to sag. The rest is perfect. Has anyone tackled a problem like that? Or should I leave well enough alone?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2003, 08:56 PM
deltajetfixer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I replaced my sunroof front and rear weatherstripping and removed the sunroof panel, I recall I had to detach the front part of the sunroof headliner. It simply unsnapped at the forward end.

I would think that removal of the sunroof headliner at the rear edge would be fairly straightforward and that you could figure a way to gently retension the liner covering. My guess is that it's either stapled and or glued? By detaching it on one side you'd be able to perform a pseudo-facelift by taking up the slack.

I'd definitely want the sunroof headliner out of the car to attempt any repair. Can you post pics of the sag?
Old 10-08-2003, 10:53 PM
marc 1xx1
Instructor

Unhappy

Bayside,

I recall an article a few years past in Car and Driver or one of those similiar automotive magazines about a gent who tried repeatedly to repair the headliner in his "lesser" car, as they say.

He had tried glues, sprays, clips and pins. Everything was a temporary fix. The headline continued to sag. The final chapter in his ongoing battle to strive for perfection, resulted in him screwing the saging headliner to his roof using small and discrete scews known as "zips" in the constuction industry.

Unknowingly he had screwed right through the one layer sheetmetal roof of his car.

DOOOOHHHH!!!!

I wish I could find the image to post. It was a hoot.

You may want to talk to an interior upholster familiar with Porsche's before attempting this one.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:37 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just un-snap the sunroof headliner piece and take to an upholstery guy...they will fix you right up.

Grab the forward edge of the headliner piece, make sure your sunroof is partially open first! Then unsnap it, pull the forward section down a bit and then pull it forward, it all slides out in a jiffy.

Good luck, let us know how it went and what it took for the fix.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:19 AM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jeff Curtis

Grab the forward edge of the headliner piece, make sure your sunroof is partially open first! Then unsnap it, pull the forward section down a bit and then pull it forward, it all slides out in a jiffy.

--------------------------------------------

This makes me laugh
If I tried this it absoluteley would not work out like this.....for sure!!!!
The S-N-A-P bit is probably the only bit i'd get right.
I'd be more inclined to go the bluetack route first.
Bayside, you have my best wishes, do please let us know how it goes.
Cheers!
Old 10-09-2003, 03:55 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, Dave - not even the S-N-A-P bit - it would go C-R-A-C-K!
Old 10-09-2003, 07:47 PM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

I pulled down on the front, pretty hard. Nothing.

Feels like the metal tray that the liner is attached to will bend before it unsnaps. It also appears that the tracks on the side are holding it in place as well. Do theses tracks need to be removed?

I did notice that the liner had become unglued at the rear, that’s why it sagged.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:54 PM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Success!

Instead up pulling down the headliner I inserted a flathead screw driver and turned slightly. The snaps popped out, no problem. There are seven in all.

I suggest removing the wind deflector before attempting to pull out the headliner. All the old glue was dried out. I used 3M-spray adhesive to reattach the vinyl. Worked like a charm!

Thanks for all the input.

Quick Reply: Sunroof headliner is starting to sag