Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 06:15 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts
Default clutch judder

hi guys,
i`ve a problem with my blue car (c4).

Well, the engine was tweaked three or four years ago. During this process, the clutch was replaced with a single mass flywheel, a sprung 997 GT3 clubsport disc from sachs and a turbo pressure plate. New TOB and guide-tube was also installed. Also the small needle-bearings from the fork-shaft.

Everything was fine and worked perfect, until i parked my car after the last trackday in autumn. There was no problem at the track nor at the 450km way home.

But from the moment of the next drive on (4 weeks later), the car developed a big problem:

The clutch is good, shift is good, no problem. But when you`re trying to move from standstill in the 1st gear, it is only possible once w/o problems. If you`ll try it a second time shortly after the first time - like the situation in stop&go traffic - the car creates a brutal judder. But not everytime.

I did 400km yesterday and brought the car from it`s hibernation place at my mums house back to munich and it was strange:

in the morning, for the first drive after the winter-sitdown to the gas-station, the clutch was not drivable. But i had to.... So i went to the autobahn and southwards to munich. When driving there are no problems at all with shifting and slipping the clutch. I also let the clutch slipp a little bit during slow driving... no judder at all. Absolutely perfect.

After some kilometers o got stuck in traffic on the autobahn. I had to do round about 50 times of startup`s from standstill and had no problems... and it was mostly uphill. After driving some further kilometers i had another traffic jam and the start-ups were brutal bad. I was afraid of loosing some teeth. In gearbox and by myself...

I spoke my mechanic about that and he suggests dropping the trany (of course) but is also in fear, that we`ll not find anything wrong, because of the clutch main functionality is still perfect.... Gearbox mount (OEM) and engine-mounts (WEVO) are round about 10k kilometers old. The whole clutch assembly has round about 20tKM on it...

I also did a full brake/clutch bleed over the winter by myself. No old fluid there. I saw the new fluid with my own eyes....

The only obstructiveness i made, even some days before the last trackday, was a squeal, when pressing the clutch pedal with engine off (had to adjust my 6p harness). The noise came from the engine/gearbox, not from inside the cabin.
Could this be a bad slave-cylinder? or missing lube on one of the moving parts there (fork, guide-tube)??

thx in advance...

thilo
Old 03-13-2016, 07:59 AM
neffets
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oil leak from RMS hitting clutch plate after long standstill, then getting burned off after a bit clutching?
Old 03-13-2016, 10:16 AM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Or maybe gearbox front seal leaking giving the same issue as RMS?
Old 03-13-2016, 10:17 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

both seal rings (gearbox and engine) are max 4 years and 20tKM old and no oil on bellhousing.

On my convertible, i had this problem last month. Fresh engine but gearbox seal-ring was a little bit leaking so i had a slippling clutch, but no judder...

:-(
Old 03-13-2016, 03:31 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't seem like you have much to lose so as a last resort prior to taking it all apart I think I'd overheat the clutch on purpose to see if that would change the slip dynamic at all.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:50 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

it was the clutch fork (or clutch release fork?). That part was 1mm bent and caused the judder. Was just replaced (and got an aux oil cooler for track duties) and the car is just ready for pickup after some days at the workshop :-)
Old 03-31-2016, 05:15 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Oil cooler for the trans? Can you post what you got? Pics? Maker?
Old 03-31-2016, 05:24 PM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

no, just an ordinary auxiliary oil cooler for the engine. My car lost his air-con two years ago and at the moment i saw the huge empty space in the left fender/bumper area, i built my own aux oil cooler solution with a clima-cooler console, an full alloy OEM oil cooler (from mitsubishi) that is nearly that big like the porsche cooler and used dash12 hooses...

My workshop has just to fit it properly...
Old 03-31-2016, 07:29 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Ok gotcha. I'm installing the carnewal setup that allows me to keep the ac.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:12 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates on problem/solution?
Old 12-22-2016, 05:08 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

jep. it was a bent clutch fork. Got a new one and it was fixed... Season was good with some trackdays..

clutch disc/pressure plate and that stuff remaind "old" (~20tKM)

Quick Reply: clutch judder