A/C convert R12 back to 134A again

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 11:42 AM
Tinwan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C convert R12 back to 134A again

Hi all,
I originally had a dealer retrofit R12 system in my UK spec 964 that never worked that well ever. As I live in a semi tropical county with contant high humidity, I completely renovated the TOTAL system including rebuilt climate control unit, compressor, condensor, evaporator, fan unit, double barrier hoses the LOT to 134A spec with not much difference in cooling vent temp performance. I then gave up again & put the R12 compressor back on the system which improved the vent temp slightly. I need to go back to 134A as the ban on R12 gas will come into force with new HK laws. What do I need to change back to high pressure 134A system again apart from the compressor. I know the pressure valve may need to be replaced & how about the dryer ?
I do know the mineral oli is different also. Anyone have a recommended head pressure, I would love to make this work this time after all this time & money so & any help is much appreciated

Mark Hong Kong
Old 10-06-2003, 03:21 PM
jaybro
Intermediate

Default A/C

Hi Tinwan,

I had my 1990 964 converted to 134a by the local Porsche dealer Stoddard Imports. They did the job and the only components you must replace are the dryer and the charging valves. Get a copy of the 1995 Porsche Technical Bulletin number 9501 which describes the total procedure.

Jaybro 1990 911 C-2
Old 10-07-2003, 12:19 AM
eddychan
Racer

Dear Tinwan,

You do realise that R12 is more efficient than R134A but more harmful to the environment.
I had my system replaced in April and my mechanic told me that I could keep the R12 so what this new law is all about? As far as I understand is that like UK, the govenment is gradually stopping the supply of R12 and I agree that we should look after the environment and change to R134a.
There is an excellant article descriping the installation of a new Air Con system in the July edition of the " Excellance " magazine. Check it out or I can lend it to you.
I do not t hink you need to change the whole system especially you had that system before.

Eddie
91 C-2

Quick Reply: A/C convert R12 back to 134A again