Sponsored by:

C4 Gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 04:23 AM
Saab96
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C4 Gearbox

Is it possibel to change oil seal on drive shaft (to torque tube) with engine and gearbox in the car?
Old 02-03-2016, 05:17 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Possibly but not easily. I would think you would have to drop the engine and transmission down some and push the center drive shaft up after disconnected from transmission. Not sure if the opening in center drive shaft will clear the output shaft of the transmission, but maybe. If you have a lift, it would be easier and worth a try. Maybe someone will chime in that has done it.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:34 AM
Saab96
Intermediate

Dos the link between the two shafts slides (on the torque tube skaft) so that it wil be possibel to take out and insert a new seal in the opening between the shafts?
Old 02-03-2016, 05:47 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Possibly. The 2 concerns I would have are 1) how to get the old seal out without damaging anything (you will not have room for a seal puller, and 2) how to put the new seal in straight and flush without damaging the seal. It is worth a shot first, but be prepared that you may have more work if you cannot finish the job with them connected. I like finding shortcuts, but that one is going to be tough. Again maybe someone has done it successfully and will chime in.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:21 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

We have been told "it's possible" by a shop here in Connecticut. We had the same question a few months back. My feeling after that discussion was that it's not brain surgery to lower the motor. Especially if you aren't really taking it out. So put the car on stands, follow the procedure to lower the motor, and then with the motor on the floor (or on a jack close to the floor), get under the car and do the seal. This way you can clean things, get a good look for other problems, get the seal done, etc, and not spend much...

You just need enough access. May not be the prettiest way to do it...but wouldn't be too hard to get that done.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Saab96
Intermediate

Thanks for good advise, it is not a big leak so i will leave it for now. The engine will have to come out next winter for som upgrads.

Quick Reply: C4 Gearbox