Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch clunk noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 12:12 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh ok. Then what am I looking for? Ha. I checked the fluid and didn't see any metal on the plug if that is a good sign. Is it even magnetized?
Old 02-02-2016, 08:04 PM
prschmn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Broken things of course-------

Try first to ensure that the carrier doesnt have any play in the case.
use big screwdrivers or something to check if you can move it side to side or the flanges verticaly.
Any signs of leaks at those seals? If not there yank it and check that the spider gears and crosshaft
are good.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:14 PM
stubble88
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first
should he just drain the oil and see if there are any metal flakes? it could be really fine stuff so use a magnet in the bottom of the pan.
That was the second sign after hearing the noise for me.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:00 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you open anything up, be sure and post some pics! Without pics, it never happened...
Old 02-02-2016, 10:46 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was playing with the coupe again today, and it appears the difference in the two is just twice as much mileage. If I was looking at a tire tread and rocking the wheel back and forth, the low mile 91' coupe (70K), was about 3/4 of a tread with before it caught, and the targa with 140k on the transaxle was rocking about a inch eye balling a tread. (they wear the same rubber) before it caught. Just seems to be a bit more worn. A very un-scientific test, but best I could do. The targa has always had a more noticeable amount of lash you can feel when in a low gear getting on and off the throttle. Nothing new. I figure it is normal. The couple has similar lash only in reverse. So, my conclusion without making a mess and cracking it open is that it is just higher mileage. I would be tempted to open her up as I have 2 lifts etc in my garage, I just have no idea what I am looking at. I suppose I could open up both cars and have a gander...we shall see. Need to get the 308 off the lift first by finishing the belt service before I can have them both on the lift side by side. Then do the motor in the 80' coupe, then the 79 lotus Esprit needs attention, then the 73' coupe needs love, on and on it goes..Ha. The 91' targa is the daily driver in no salt conditions. She is a good car. Motor has been terrific with years of red line shifting, Knock on wood...RIP cabriolet.

Quick Reply: clutch clunk noise?