Sponsored by:

Window seals

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 01:05 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Window seals

Wash washing my cab the other day. And noticed after drying her off I rolled down the windows and back up again. Water smeared on the glass. Dried it rolled Windows down and back up again and the same thing. Is this just from the seal being saturated with water or do I wave water seeping past the seal into the door?
I guess what I'm asking is this a sign I need new window seal strips?
I've had the door panels off before and never notices signs of moisture or anything rusted.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:31 PM
Norse_man
Racer

bump

still wet a day later when i roll the window up and down, guess that answers my question. time for new seals
Old 01-29-2016, 12:18 AM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think water gets in there no matter what. All the 911's and 964's at my house do it. I assume that's why the doors have drain holes at the bottom. I try not to open my window right after a wash, and when I do I like to leave it down to dry as the air will swirl around as you drive. Another thing I do when washing is adjust the nozzle to spray a fan like hard spray and not soak the hell out of the window or the whole car for that matter. I think the seals are fine as long as still touching the glass and not deteriorated. Even new seals (which I have installed and water still gets in) don't cover end to end tight anyways. Always can slide it a bit either direction, not always shrinkage. I could be wrong. Wouldn't sweat it.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:00 AM
Norse_man
Racer

good to know,, appreciate the response.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:07 PM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Don't forget the outside seals do have the 'felt' face to them and that does retain some water enough to smear the glass after a wash until it dries off.

Worth pointing out too that, like any rubber seal, it shrinks over time with gaps each end enough to let plenty of hose water through. Water does, and will, collect in the window riser/rail the galss rests in. I had my window drop down the door on a long trip due to the riser collapsing through corrosion over the decades. Doors stripped down both sides to reveal both risers had gone. There is nowhere for the water to drain out of the riser channel. Had new replacement rails powder coated so never need to think about them again.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:05 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Originally Posted by LM964
Don't forget the outside seals do have the 'felt' face to them and that does retain some water enough to smear the glass after a wash until it dries off.

Worth pointing out too that, like any rubber seal, it shrinks over time with gaps each end enough to let plenty of hose water through. Water does, and will, collect in the window riser/rail the galss rests in. I had my window drop down the door on a long trip due to the riser collapsing through corrosion over the decades. Doors stripped down both sides to reveal both risers had gone. There is nowhere for the water to drain out of the riser channel. Had new replacement rails powder coated so never need to think about them again.
Very good info, thanks.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:57 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Norse_man
Wash washing my cab the other day. And noticed after drying her off I rolled down the windows and back up again. Water smeared on the glass. Dried it rolled Windows down and back up again and the same thing. Is this just from the seal being saturated with water or do I wave water seeping past the seal into the door?
I guess what I'm asking is this a sign I need new window seal strips?
I've had the door panels off before and never notices signs of moisture or anything rusted.
This is happening on only one of my Windows so there must be a fix. I've bought all new seals for my car but haven't fitted them yet. There are three seals on each side, two with felt on. I'll bet the inner most seal with the pop studs for mounting have rotted.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:31 PM
porsche mania
Pro

I tried to upload pics but photobucket is undergoing maintenance. I look out the part numbers for everything in case anyone else needs them
Old 01-29-2016, 04:08 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Originally Posted by porsche mania
I tried to upload pics but photobucket is undergoing maintenance. I look out the part numbers for everything in case anyone else needs them

I'd love the part numbers thanks.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:41 PM
porsche mania
Pro

This is what was left of the inner seal!Name:  IMAG3834_zpsxmkpfn6a.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  318.8 KB

Bear in mind I'd class my car as a tidy one, not been a daily driver for the eighteen years I've known it and always garaged in this time! I couldn't believe there was anything this rusty on my car!
Unfortunately this is the only one I don't have a part number for but if you can get on pet it should be quite obvious through a process of elimination.
This seal goes on the outside of the glass under the scraper (911 531 931 02 and 911 531 932 02) this is the easy one to replace that you can see from outside the car. The seal on the inside of the glass is 911 531 951 01Name:  IMAG3836_zpsanngpler.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  256.5 KB
I've been getting a lot of wind noise in my car so have decided to replace door seals 911 531 095 03, they're both the same believe it or not! I've also found the seal that goes up the inside of the A post and across the top of the door (911 542 403 01 + 911 542 404 01) but haven't found the clips to attatch it yet, originally I thought it was stick on but it isn't.Name:  IMAG3836_zpsanngpler.jpg
Hopefully with all that lot you there should only be one part number remaining for door/window seals and that will be for this part.Name:  IMAG3836_zpsanngpler.jpg
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2016, 04:44 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

The felt pieces that run along the A pillar & roof of the car inside the door jam are pop riveted in place.

I installed all new seals on my track car to keep as much water out while traveling to and from the track with an open trailer. It is interesting to see how much water makes it past the seals under heavy rain. Since I cut out the inside of the doors it is very apparent and nothing you can do to stop it. That is why Porsche installs the plastic barrier behind the door panels to keep them from getting wet. It is good to poke something into the weep slots occasionally to see that they aren't blocked otherwise water will get trapped and eventually rust out the doors from the inside. We see this a lot with some of the older 911's.

Concours people always say use a fan spray vs a jet setting when washing your car. Far less water will make its way through when washing.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:09 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

"Concours people always say use a fan spray vs a jet setting when washing your car. Far less water will make its way through when washing".

What I was trying to say earlier.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:17 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by greg1990964
"Concours people always say use a fan spray vs a jet setting when washing your car. Far less water will make its way through when washing".

What I was trying to say earlier.
Sorry missed that didn't mean to be repetitive. Also I have gone as far as using blue tape over the entire top of the door when I know it is going to rain and even then a little makes its way through. I wouldn't sweet it.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:57 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

I don't really worry about it except for water marks on the window with a clean car. There are 3 big weep holes like the one in this pic on the bottom of the door so water isn't really a issue.
Name:  photo501.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  153.1 KB
Old 01-31-2016, 02:13 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Sorry Norse_man, the pictures above weren't meant to be same ones, having problems with photobucket! I wasn't meaning there was a cure for stopping water getting in the doors but the felts and window scrapers will stop you having a smeary window and will guide the water into the door at the end of the glass and out through the drain holes.

Quick Reply: Window seals