Sponsored by:

Lower Dash Problems - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 06:51 PM
dubfordstyling
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower Dash Problems - Help!

I've just fitted a lower dash to my 964 but the glove box doesn't seem to fit up properly nor with the ashtray stay shut. Any advice on fitting these?

Name:  20AC6EB6-CB8E-4982-AD90-3A4DE9C0FC85.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  148.0 KB

Name:  B24BC94B-ED74-43C4-94E6-11C33C5429D7.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  161.8 KB
Old 01-24-2016, 08:44 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

What style glove box? Side latch or center? Also the ashtray is probably the mechanism. Remove it and make sure the little arm is in the groove.

A picture of the open glove box might help.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:56 AM
dubfordstyling
Rennlist Member

The latch is in the centre. I looked at the mechanism of the ashtray and the small cog is in the groove, it just doesn't click shut for some reason?
Old 01-25-2016, 01:11 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Center latched glove boxes were used on the last of the production 964's these carried over to the 993. They might be able to help you better. AFAIK the center latch is adjusted on the dash side. There is a small metal loop which engages the latch on the door. I believe the correct adjustment is made by the two small phillips screws on the dash side. The offset and center screw allow for an up and down adjustment and the center screw also allows for an an in and out adjustment of the loop. I believe if you loosen these and play with them you should be able to make it latch properly. Be careful not to fully remove the center screw especially there is a metal plate that will come loose and require you to remove the dash to reinstall.

For the ash tray I suggest you remove the unit from the dash. The unit should work with it out of the car. If the gears and everything are in working order you should have no issues. Either it works or it is broken scenario. It has been a while but I believe there is a small spring in the mechanism as you push it closed the arm should move up and over to hold it in place and push on it again it should move it so that the door opens. Hard to explain but I believe if you take it out of the car and look closely it is pretty self explanatory.

Sorry I don't know how to explain it better. One of those things you need to be there to show or have pictures which I do not.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:57 PM
dubfordstyling
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Center latched glove boxes were used on the last of the production 964's these carried over to the 993. They might be able to help you better. AFAIK the center latch is adjusted on the dash side. There is a small metal loop which engages the latch on the door. I believe the correct adjustment is made by the two small phillips screws on the dash side. The offset and center screw allow for an up and down adjustment and the center screw also allows for an an in and out adjustment of the loop. I believe if you loosen these and play with them you should be able to make it latch properly. Be careful not to fully remove the center screw especially there is a metal plate that will come loose and require you to remove the dash to reinstall.

For the ash tray I suggest you remove the unit from the dash. The unit should work with it out of the car. If the gears and everything are in working order you should have no issues. Either it works or it is broken scenario. It has been a while but I believe there is a small spring in the mechanism as you push it closed the arm should move up and over to hold it in place and push on it again it should move it so that the door opens. Hard to explain but I believe if you take it out of the car and look closely it is pretty self explanatory.

Sorry I don't know how to explain it better. One of those things you need to be there to show or have pictures which I do not.

Many thanks for your advice. I've since found a few threads that point to the same loop adjustment fix. I'll break out the screwdrivers and have a fiddle!

I'll also pull out the ash tray and see if I can find out what's going on.

Quick Reply: Lower Dash Problems - Help!