Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Mounts: Blown 964 to Rennline to 993

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 03:48 PM
Trapperbay
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off if your mounts are shot, anything will be a big, positive difference. I just switched to the 993 from the RS mounts. I have a cab and i finally realized (accepted) how I wanted to enjoy the car. It's really personal preference. Even after removing my elephant racing monoball shock mounts I still wanted more comfort.

I loved the way the car moves with the engine a little more on startup with the RS mounts. 993 mounts isolate that vibration.
The main thing I didn't like about the RS mounts was the sharpness or harshness when you hit variations in the road. The faster you go the worse it gets, and it got my attention. I can't imagine the hard Wevo's or the solid mounts some have.

I also have some rattles (cab life) I need to chase down so the harshness magnified that.

All that said I have a set of RS mounts with about 2k miles (3 yrs) on them if you are interested.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:54 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Trapperbay
...I loved the way the car moves with the engine a little more on startup...
+1 Love that too
Old 06-30-2019, 11:09 AM
Pdyson4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rein 08 or Porsche 09 Part in 993 c2

How can you tell the difference between a Rein 08 and a Porsche 09 engine mount once the label wears off?

Or does anyone have any idea if these are Porsche or Rein? The idle noise is pretty bad in this car; the RHS has dropped 10mm but the lhs is fine. Identifying them helps me choose the right replacement.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:05 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

If one side is failed, I would be inclined to replace both sides. Chances are they are both the same age. You can choose what ever style mount you choose. If you are happy with the factory ones, why not use those again?
Old 06-30-2019, 08:49 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

If I remember correctly the original mount had the VP (on most Porsche OE parts this is present) engraved on the mount itself... along with the part number. For 993s this would also be the case I guess.

The replacement Rein ones I have now only have a label stuck to them. A rectangular one.

So I would believe the ones in your pic are not the OE ones. Possibly Rein, but the round sticker residue points to a label different than my Rein ones... that detail has me puzzled about the origin of these mounts.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:23 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 179 Posts

I just replaced my sagging stock mounts with Wevo blacks. I thought the car handled well before, but wow. Now it’s tight like a drum. No drama anymore when cornering, and everything just feels connected. It feels like a better match with my stiff suspension, and bumps feel like they are soaked up better. Smoother shifting too.

if there is any more NVH, I can’t tell. Can’t wait to get it on track in a couple weeks.
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (10-15-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 06:05 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
People use the 993 mount because it’s a simple rubber design and far cheaper that the expensive and complicated 964 part. Similar to RS/Wevo/Rennline, but softer. Don’t know about 965 parts but would assume it’s the same, issue as 964 parts (otherwise it would have been mentioned on this forum many times). Plus there were two different engines in that car and the engine carrier is probably different. Whole ‘nother animal. Hey Cobalt?!

Timely thread refresh as I’m going to be ordering new MMs and thought about Rennlines, but will mostly likely get Wevos again.
As already hinted in the thread, 993 C2 mounts are fluid filled, 993 C4 mounts are solid rubber and like half price compared to 993 C2 mounts, I went for 993 C4 mounts for my C2 993 and are satisfied with them!

Most people recomend RS mounts and tells all the world and everyone how pleased they are! But it's pretty meaningless to compare copletely shot 20+ years old original mounts with brand new RS mounts!

Biggest advantage with RS mounts are that you can hear when the AC compressor is engaged.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:09 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sirenty
I just replaced my sagging stock mounts with Wevo blacks. I thought the car handled well before, but wow. Now it’s tight like a drum. No drama anymore when cornering, and everything just feels connected. It feels like a better match with my stiff suspension, and bumps feel like they are soaked up better. Smoother shifting too.

if there is any more NVH, I can’t tell. Can’t wait to get it on track in a couple weeks.
Sweet. I recently read one of your posts where you mentioned a whole host of suspension upgrades already, so I was wonder about your MM. Totally agree, these simple, taut MM really lock down the car.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:06 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

One other option I haven't seen mentioned is the Function First stiffened engine mount. Looks like an OEM 993 C4(?) mount with added polyurethane? Anyone try or have any experience with these?

http://www.function-first.com/produc...-mount-upgrade
Old 10-23-2019, 09:14 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
One other option I haven't seen mentioned is the Function First stiffened engine mount. Looks like an OEM 993 C4(?) mount with added polyurethane? Anyone try or have any experience with these?

http://www.function-first.com/produc...-mount-upgrade
Definitely a good option if you want, as they describe them as, "Semi-Semi-Solid" Engine Mounts.

I really like their transmission mount insert. Have put it two cars. New motor mounts, with the FF trans insert, and FD goldenrod, RS short shift kit is a very nice experience.
Taut, responsive on/off throttle. Not harsh, but you are involved and feel connected. (A world away from a totally stock set up).
http://www.function-first.com/produc...s-mount-insert
Old 11-11-2019, 12:05 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Installed 993 C4 mounts in my car this week. Few lessons learned.

torque specs are all over the place online and not in Bentley. I initially did one of the top bolts to 34 ft lbs and the bolt snapped. Managed to get it out with a stud remover but it was nerve wracking for a bit. Torque specs I ended up using were 20 and 60 ft lbs for the top and bottom bolt respectively.

next, the c4 mount is much longer than the stock 964 which makes final tightening require a deep 19mm socket. Not a big deal but in retrospect would have just cut the length down to match the stock mount before installing.

make sure to jack up the engine as it will need to sit higher for the carrier to be flush to the bottom of the mount.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:45 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Bumping this thread back up, my shop has a set of Wevo mounts with black pillows in route and I will have them installed next week along with some other minor maintenance. I’ll report back my findings on the Wevo next weekend.
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (12-20-2019)
Old 12-20-2019, 04:45 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

One more data point - I had blown standard 964 mounts and went with the 993 C4 rubber mounts after reading this thread. Quite happy with them for my driving style which is backroads and street. Zero NVH and a much tightened rear.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:02 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I wanted to add another data point for those that are debating on mounts. Yesterday I had Wevo Engine Mounts with black bushings installed in my Targa. What surprised me was that my stock mounts were actually still good with no leaks but they were starting to get soft and the drivers side was a bit lopsided as can be seen in the picture. My car didn’t show any signs of ill performance prior to this change.

Immediately after firing up the car with the Wevo’s installed I noted the additional engine noise in the cabin. It reminded me of the 996GT3 that I had driven a few years ago with all the mechanical sounds making their way into the cabin. I’ll admit I don’t love this aspect of the Wevo mounts and wished there was something in between but I couldn’t stomach the RS mount prices which are now $350 each! But I didn’t feel was any of the vibration or engine movement when the RPM’s climbed so the Wevo’s aren’t over the top.

ut on the road the change was pronounced, the car felt incredibly planted and VERY stable. I’m seriously shocked how such a small, albeit important, part can have such a big impact on the cars handling. I no longer can feel any instability during initial turn in, the car just stays stable, flat and goes were I point it. On the highway changing lanes at speed feels very stable with no drama. The shifting is also much smoother and the slight notchiness going into second is now gone, smooth as butter into every gear. Downshifting is also much better and easier.

Hope this helps others that are considering making a change.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:39 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
...Immediately after firing up the car with the Wevo’s installed I noted the additional engine noise in the cabin. It reminded me of the 996GT3 that I had driven a few years ago with all the mechanical sounds making their way into the cabin. I’ll admit I don’t love this aspect of the Wevo mounts and wished there was something in between...
That’s an important data point for sure, not everyone is going to like the increased NVH. It’s easy to forget our initial reaction to the mod. It does really change things from stock, especially for the first couple drives. Not that it’s harsh or loud, just a lot more direct and solid. Like most mods, you gradually get accustomed to it. I bet if you were to switch to something softer in a couple weeks, you would miss these.

...on the road the change was pronounced, the car felt incredibly planted and VERY stable. I’m seriously shocked how such a small, albeit important, part can have such a big impact on the cars handling. I no longer can feel any instability during initial turn in, the car just stays stable, flat and goes were I point it. On the highway changing lanes at speed feels very stable with no drama. The shifting is also much smoother and the slight notchiness going into second is now gone, smooth as butter into every gear. Downshifting is also much better and easier.

Hope this helps others that are considering making a change.
This is what it’s all about, and makes me so excited about how it changes the car. Sorry the car is a bit louder, but it is really amazing how much stability improves and how solid it makes the car feel. The shifting improvement is a nice bonus too.

I felt like the Function First transmission insert, had the same effect as when I first installed the MM. Next level stability and precision, and not harsh... That said, I can see where it could be too much for some, I need to be careful in my recommendations to understand exactly what the owner is looking for.

Regardless, this is interesting. Report back in a couple weeks.

Quick Reply: Engine Mounts: Blown 964 to Rennline to 993