Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does your fan look like?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 11:09 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If he doesn't want to do it its fine. I have a friend who works nearby in a paint/body shop so he can do it for me as well, just that I have to get it blasted at one place and then bring to another. Cobalt, I see you said you prefer to remove everything all together, but once the fan and bearing are together, will it slip onto the shaft smoothly? I don't know how true it is, but some threads say that the now, 'later', style bearings slip one more easily whereas the early ones were more of a tough press fit.

I think I might give the baking and freezing method a shot YaHoo when the time comes. Overall its a straightforward job, but usually its always those straightforward ones that turn out to be a hassle.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:19 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
If I had it to do over, there is no way I would powder. I would paint. Think about it, the original ones hold up for 15-20 years with paint. Just take it off every 5-10 years and detail it up it may last forever with no risk of tolereance problems. So to answer your question, Paint, Paint, Paint, imo
+964, never liked PC and prefer paint.

Originally Posted by Mr.Alex
Ibut once the fan and bearing are together, will it slip onto the shaft smoothly? I don't know how true it is, but some threads say that the now, 'later', style bearings slip one more easily whereas the early ones were more of a tough press fit.
I replaced mine a year and a half ago and it slipped on the shaft like butter, no need to press it on.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,259 Posts

I am a clean freak if you haven't guessed so I usually remove more than I need to and thoroughly clean everything. Either way works as a single unit it is a bit more tricky I just like to work on a bench. I also am in no rush so if the car sits for a while it doesn't bother me.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:09 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

Yes yu will likely need to use a puller to remove the fan. I think it's just corrosion that holds it on the shaft after years of sitting there. The new bearing slides right into the shaft with zero issue. Makes sense since you would never want to press against your alternator bearings...

Bake the fan at 150 and freeze the bearing. Goes together easily.

But that said, if you aren't changing the bearing, no need to pull that. Just mask it off and paint the fan. You can't paint the inside of the hole where the bearing goes anyway...cuz then the bearing doesn't fit no matter what you do...

Quick Reply: What does your fan look like?