Sponsored by:

Starting vs Sitting - Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 02:26 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Arrow Starting vs Sitting - Cold Weather

So with all the cold weather, snow, road sand, etc here in CO, my 964 has been sitting in my garage since early November.

Today, it's supposed to be "warm"... Approx mid-40's.

Is it worth starting it and leaving it sit and idle, and get up to operating temp that way?

Or is it better left to sit until I can actually drive it?

Thanks!!
Old 01-03-2016, 03:26 PM
Norse_man
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GoKart
So with all the cold weather, snow, road sand, etc here in CO, my 964 has been sitting in my garage since early November.

Today, it's supposed to be "warm"... Approx mid-40's.

Is it worth starting it and leaving it sit and idle, and get up to operating temp that way?

Or is it better left to sit until I can actually drive it?

Thanks!!
Often wondered this. I plan on taking my for a drive in winter months as long as there is no rain or snow. But when it's bad weather wondered if I should start it once every couple of weeks and let it idle for 30 minutes or so
Old 01-03-2016, 04:13 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Only start it if you intent to drive it. If you worry about it sitting too long without oil circulating through the engine, pull the DME relay and crank it until you get oil pressure. If you store your car for the winter, change the oil before you put it to sleep.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:18 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^+1 good advice.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:18 PM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

I would say to start it at least once every couple of weeks, and if you can't drive it just get it outside and let it idle for a good while. At least then you will know that most everything is working! I left mine for a couple of months over winter, tried to start it and it wouldn't start all. Eventually found out (after getting it transported to where I get it serviced) that the flywheel sensor was toast. So that's my advice!
Old 01-03-2016, 05:01 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm thinking it's good practice to at least start it every once in a while and let it get nice and hot, so that the seals can experience the heat cycles and the oil can circulate through the engine. Better than not starting it at all for ~4 months in my case.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:09 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bw-porsche
I would say to start it at least once every couple of weeks, and if you can't drive it just get it outside and let it idle for a good while. At least then you will know that most everything is working! I left mine for a couple of months over winter, tried to start it and it wouldn't start all. Eventually found out (after getting it transported to where I get it serviced) that the flywheel sensor was toast. So that's my advice!
Your failed flywheel sensor has nothing to do with storage procedure, just an unfortunate event.
If you goggle "winter storage" you will find that most "experts" will disagree with what you are recommending, mostly because of the condensation that forms in the engine after you shut it down. That condensation is what causes corrosion, the ONE thing you do NOT want. Cranking the engine with no ignition, is by far the best way to go.

Old 01-03-2016, 07:27 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As crg53 says above, that would be my advice!
Old 01-03-2016, 07:40 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I Left mine in a heated storage facility. It's a non distinct building an hour from Boston with security cameras in an equally unassuming area. In fact a few other rennlisters cars are tucked away there too. I Added stabil at the last fill up a few miles before getting to the garage so it could work its way through the fuel system. When I arrived I Over Inflated the tires and hooked it up to a battery tender. Won't start it until I'm ready to take her home.

Set it and forget it.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:43 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was dry today, so I drove it 200 miles. My 8yo son liked it even on the highway and agreed that it was pretty much fun in the shape of a car. We came out of a rest area near the top of third with goofy smiles on our faces.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:20 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Don't start the engine unless you plan on driving long enough to get the oil up to full operating temperature for 20 minutes or longer. Starting a cold engine requires a rich fuel mixture and that dilutes the oil unless its at temperature long enough to burn out the condensation and unburned fuel in the oil. Accelerated wear occurs when engines are not warmed up sufficiently and driven for awhile.

Just keep the battery full charged and hopefully you changed the oil & filter before winter storage.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:10 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just out of curiously, why is an oil change necessary prior to storage?
Old 01-04-2016, 02:54 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
Just out of curiously, why is an oil change necessary prior to storage?
This helps prevent corrosion on bearing as as well as on ferrous surfaces due to condensation and oil contamination after driving all summer.

I change oil & filters, then crank the engine (DME relay removed) to get oil pressure that coats everything with clean oil.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:21 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Do not start it...does a lot more harm than good...Introduces moisture into exhaust, engine, etc. Idling your car will not get it up to full operating temp...Totally unnecessary, the car will be absolutely fine without starting !
Old 01-04-2016, 01:58 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by bgiere
Do not start it...does a lot more harm than good...Introduces moisture into exhaust, engine, etc. Idling your car will not get it up to full operating temp...Totally unnecessary, the car will be absolutely fine without starting !
Perfect & accurate advice!!!

Quick Reply: Starting vs Sitting - Cold Weather