Another Chip question??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 11:14 PM
therashman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Another Chip question??

Hi Guys

I am reasonably new to this forum. I have conducted a search and reviewed most of the posts relevant to this topic.

In Australia we have one company marketing chips (or at least I am aware of). Its called 'Powerchip'. I have attached their claim below in relation power increases for a 93 964. It is around 8%-10%.

I just dunno whether their claim is right or it is more to do with marketing and less to do with noticeable increases in perfomance for my car.

I gotta say after reading the various posts on this topic, I am a tad hesitant.

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/datasheets/1/Por0017.pdf
Old 09-29-2003, 03:56 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Do not waste your money,
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 09-29-2003, 04:48 AM
Pete 90 C4
Intermediate

Talking from my own experience, if you want some real changes in the way your car performs, you need to make a few modifications.

I think a chip on it's own isn't really going to be noticeable - as Adrian says - 'don't waste your mony'.

The way to go is - install a cat bypass, and either a primary or secondary muffler bypass, along with at least a k&n replacement filter - maybe with a drilled airbox - or an induction kit, along with a chip. This will give you a real improvement in power and torque - but your neighbours might fall out with you because things start getting a bit louder!

Good Luck!
Old 09-29-2003, 06:45 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

The most cost effective means to increasing performance is to concentrate on the driver, take some track lessons, IMHO they do make a difference.

Kevin
Old 09-29-2003, 08:33 PM
therashman
Intermediate

Thanks for all your comments above. Your observations have crystallised my initial thoughts on the matter.

As my car is an anniversary model (1993) 964, I am very hesitant to make any other modifications to enhance performance as it may impinge on the ultimate re-sale value of the vehicle. I say this because, I probably will more than likely want to realise this model for a 'Turbo' model in the ensuing years.

Although I absolutely luv the car right now, I just know me, I just get itchy feet after say three years with any material possession (eg watches, HiFi gear etc) and like to move on to something different.

In the meantime, I think I will keep working on my driving skills. I must admit the Merc has made me a 'lazy' driver. I look forward to every single drive in the 964 and after every drive it leaves me hanging on for more & more.....
Old 09-30-2003, 03:12 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

I agree with Adrian: Don't waste your money! Check out the website (systemsc.com)
under Technical for comments about chips and their related problems.

Good Luck
Loren

Quick Reply: Another Chip question??