Sponsored by:

Has anyone modded the front and rear

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 02:57 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by LimmetED

Now yer talkin! Very different looking, is this still photoshop?
Old 12-01-2015, 03:02 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

The front still needs a little cutaway, that bulge...hard to believe the best designers on the planet would let that out the door, but then...amg made the pacer, Chrysler made...well you get the idea, but the Porsche guys did the Porsche...! Always room...
Old 12-01-2015, 03:32 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

The only way to do any of these conversions would be to eliminate the impact bumpers underneath. In the case of the rear you could do the ROW rear bumper which would cut a bit off the back. We just did this on Ilko's car. You need to relocate the tow hook though.

Interesting how so many seem to like the bumpers shortened and I would prefer them lengthened. The low sills on the 964 IMO make the car look bloated when you shorten the bumpers. I always hated the bellows bumper cars it always looked like an afterthought compared to the long nose. The 964 is more in line with the original design. Maybe if there was a way to slim them from bottom up along with the rockers. How would that look?
Old 12-01-2015, 04:54 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
...The 964 is more in line with the original design...
+1

Copied from OP other bumper thread...

Originally Posted by kkswow12
has anyone modded these, besides singer, in a reducing way, how do i say, so they are not so protuberant...? is there something available or is every one a oneoff? seems to me the one weak point in an otherwise perfect design...
Actually they "protrude" less than most people think. It seems hard for a camera lens to really capture the true muscle and simplicity of the 964's design; it comes off large and soft (it is a little soft on the side because of the sils - like Cobalt mentioned above). That said, I was able to park my car next to a longhood once and enjoyed looking at how similar the two are. The front is actually a thing a beauty in how close it's replicated. Thankfully the 964 put an end to the long on the tooth impact bumper design! I agree the 964's rear bumper is a little too big for my liking. But, it's a simple and honest design (that really works on the Turbo), and seeing the exhaust hanging below the bumper is a little 70's...

I love that the two cars are the same size!

Old 12-01-2015, 05:00 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a euro bumper center section. Barely fit over the us crash bar.
I agree the profile is not run line with the pre-IB cars, but could still stand to have a little nip and tuck.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
I have a euro bumper center section. Barely fit over the us crash bar.
I agree the profile is not run line with the pre-IB cars, but could still stand to have a little nip and tuck.
Just installed the Cult werks one on Ilko's car. We had no issue other than relocating the tow hook in the metal bumper support. They make a very impressive product very close to factory.

Lifted this from his thread I am sure he doesn't mind.
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2015, 02:41 PM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I always liked the RUF front bumpers that I've seen on a few SC's. They seem to shorten the front.

Like this:
Old 12-03-2015, 03:58 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Originally Posted by cobalt
Just installed the Cult werks one on Ilko's car. We had no issue other than relocating the tow hook in the metal bumper support. They make a very impressive product very close to factory.

Lifted this from his thread I am sure he doesn't mind.
Soo, this pic illustrates perfectly the problem with these bumpers, it sticks out to the sides as well as to the rear, and only a bit, but it is enough to unbalance it....but that's just me, I am sure it suits most just fine, any way, thanks for all the input, as I think I said before, singer nails it,more ways than one, unfortunately for me he uses platinum nails
Old 12-03-2015, 03:59 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Default Yeah...

Originally Posted by BillyB
I always liked the RUF front bumpers that I've seen on a few SC's. They seem to shorten the front.

Like this:
And yea...
Old 12-03-2015, 05:21 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cobalt- mine is also from cult werks. It fight, just a tight clearance over the crash bar is all. Looks much better than the bulkier US version.

The yellowbird sc bumpers are awesome. Had I gotten an IB car instead of a 964, those bumpers were being ordered immediately. I agree they seem smaller, and tighter to the body. I might talk to my body shop and see what they think. Potential addition to winter "to do" list.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kkswow12
Soo, this pic illustrates perfectly the problem with these bumpers, it sticks out to the sides as well as to the rear, and only a bit, but it is enough to unbalance it....but that's just me, I am sure it suits most just fine, any way, thanks for all the input, as I think I said before, singer nails it,more ways than one, unfortunately for me he uses platinum nails
Interesting some like them skinny and some not.

My biggest issue with the singer is the bumpers especially the front it just doesn't work for me. I prefer the widebody 964 over any Porsche ever made so I guess we don't have to worry about fighting over the same girl.

Jjm4life

No problems fitting his worked just like the regular bumper just had to remove the impact plastic parts first
Old 12-03-2015, 09:07 PM
kokolyia
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Has anyone done a front bumper like Bruno's did back in the day with the Turbo S LM-gt?
Name:  photo991.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  497.7 KB
Old 12-05-2015, 08:30 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by kokolyia
Has anyone done a front bumper like Bruno's did back in the day with the Turbo S LM-gt?
Attachment 997536
That looks good! But actually the style most people seem to look for is the 993 style! would it be possible to combine the 993 front bumper style with the classic 964 headlights? the rear of the 964 isn't that classic so it could do with an upgrade with 993 rear bumper and taillights!
Old 12-05-2015, 09:43 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kokolyia
Attachment 997536
Some of the RS/RSR cars had them, Didn't MW do something like this might check the thread about his build?
Originally Posted by Railmaster.
That looks good! But actually the style most people seem to look for is the 993 style! would it be possible to combine the 993 front bumper style with the classic 964 headlights? the rear of the 964 isn't that classic so it could do with an upgrade with 993 rear bumper and taillights!
There have been a couple. I have to check there was a RL member back around 2005 or so that had a customized turbo with 993 style headlights worked into 964 front turbo fenders and 993 style turbo bumper. I have photos someplace. It was interesting but might as well buy a 993 if you want that look.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:00 PM
kokolyia
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

No affiliation but this is someone who modified the fenders but kept the bumpers. IMO I think it looks like a bit of a hodge podge but that's just me.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Has anyone modded the front and rear