Sponsored by:

H4 Conversion / Sourcing Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 11:57 AM
u7t2p7
Banned

Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts
Default H4 Conversion / Sourcing Question

Where is best place to source the H4 lights and all related bits to swap out from a factory setup. A list of what's required including bulbs, relays, etc would be helpful. Also if anyone has this setup "collecting dust" and would like to sell please send me a PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:13 PM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Pelican parts carries H5 to H4 conversion harnesses.

Last edited by David A; 11-08-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:07 PM
MrNvgtr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, Daniel Stern (Daniel Stern Lighting) was an invaluable source of info on this when I was researching what was needed.

Here's the list of what you'll need to consider:

1. H4 assembly from (pick a source). I found mine on eBay brand new in box for $540 from eBay user nhilker, which is quite amazing if you've seen the prices of these already. If your H4s come with a city light provision (Euro type), tap the city light feed wire into the vehicle's parking lamp feed. Mine came with Osram 60/55 watt bulbs and the city light provision with the simple bulb, so I didn't have to source the bulbs at all.

2. If you have a US only car, you'll need new headlamp sockets, $9.50/ea. You'll snip off the old US only sockets and splice these in. There's info somewhere on how to do this (what wires go where) if you search.

This is what Daniel Stern sent me and it helped:

As you're looking at the back of the new H4 bulb the terminals are as follows:

Left vertical pin = Common ground
Top horizontal pin = Low beam Feed
Right vertical pin = High beam Feed

Therefore, the new sockets must be wired up like this:

Left vertical slot (56a) = High beam feed
Top horizontal slot (56b) = Low beam feed
Right vertical slot (31) = Common ground

3. Bulbs. Everybody has their preference. For a conservative improvement, I was recommended the Osram 70/65w H4 bulb, $21.59/ea.

I might be missing something because I'm having a hard time finding a consolidated list of what I needed, but I think this is fairly complete minus some install details. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Quick Reply: H4 Conversion / Sourcing Question