Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is probably a silly question, but....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 11:35 AM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Wikkid911
Melissa,
I think you should go and do some donuts whilst waving to the crowds that gather and celebrate in style!
You mean like Petter Solberg? Is that guy amazing or what?

Tom
Old 09-24-2003, 11:46 AM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Jeff Curtis
Tom, that tire rotation story is CRAZY!! ...not to mention a bit "****".
Yeah, I know, but it also has to be put into context. This was my uncle's first ever car, and this event probably happened in the early 1940's. My father's family was pretty poor, so when my uncle got the car he had worked hard for every penny it took to buy it. Of course he was pretty young at the time so he didn't understand that certain things could slide for a little while on the maintenance: He was going to do it all by the book to protect his investment. This would have also occurred during WW2, so there would have been rubber shortages and he would have had to make the tires last as long as possible.

Actually, after all of this context-setting, the story is not as good as it used to be... I guess I'll just go back to the image I have of Uncle Russ as a 'dumb kid' pulling over on the side of the road to rotate his tires because he didn't know any better.

And I guess I should thank my Dad again for all he worked through to make life a helluva lot better for me and my siblings than it was for he and his. After all, I am posting this on a Porsche website, and currently have 2 to my name. Do we forget how lucky we are sometimes? Yes, MelissaM should celebrate her car's turning 100k, but we should all just celebrate that we are able to drive Porsches at all. I know that I consider myself very lucky to have what I do, and to be able to enjoy it every day.

Tom

[EDIT] After reading this post, I notice that it took some turns that I was not aware of as I was writing it. I sure didn't want it to become a downer, but it kind of has. To keep with the theme of the original post, I guess it best to sum up by saying "Celebrate the day, and whatever you do it will be appropriate."
T
Old 09-24-2003, 01:09 PM
BradfordD
Intermediate

Melissa congratulations on your 100K milestone!

If you're thinking about polishing up your car anyway - why not enter the Redwood PCA's Fourth Annual Ledson Winery Concours this Sunday??

http://red.pca.org/Docs/0928RRCo.pdf

It should be a good turn out and it's a great event on the grounds of one the most beautiful wineries in California....

Of course, you may have to run against my Speedster...
Old 09-24-2003, 07:23 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll go along with the drive along HWY.1 - I drove just between SF and Santa Cruz on Saturday (not nearly as beautiful as Monterey and Carmel)and even with it being a heavier traffic day I managed to get up to some nice speeds along those coastal twists and turns - BREATHTAKING stuff!
Old 09-24-2003, 09:08 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep Hwy 1 - in a 964 cab with the roof down - one of the best cars in the world on one of the best roads in the world - personally I'd head north - past Stinson Beach and towards Mendocina, but thats just me. I'd put some music on that meant a bunch to me and just on the 100k mark, stop take a photo and then drive hard for the rest of the day.

Congratulations Melissa and nice to see you back here, it seems like it has been a while!
Old 09-24-2003, 10:13 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions so far.

Decisions, decisions.... Sunday poses many choices: the Golden Gate Region autocross at Candlestick (er 3Com Park), the Loma Prieta Region is having their annual WWW (Waves, Wine, and Wrenches) Tour, and the Redwood Region is having their Concours. Any would be a fine way to celebrate 100k miles.

But then again, I could always rotate the tires.... Oops, can't after all, since they're different sizes.

-- Melissa
99,976 miles and counting!
Old 09-29-2003, 08:34 AM
Kismet
Instructor

Mellisa

Be warned. One of my pals's celebrations almost ended in disaster when his girlfriend absent-mindely took hold of the steering wheel to lever herself back up......they were driving on the M25 at the time.

I treated my car to a full valet and paint touch up, then we took a drive through some twisty, climbing roads to a local beauty spot and viewpoint where we had a picnic including a bottle of champagne....just one glass for me.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:40 AM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

So come on Mellisa,
You must have done those 24 miles by now! So what did you do?
Old 09-29-2003, 12:46 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

We celebrated the 100k mile mark in grand fashion! We joined the Loma Prieta Region of the PCA and went on their annual WWW (Waves, Wine, and Wrenches) Tour. The 100000 mile mark was achieved on the way to the tour, on Highway 17 (which is one of the main highways to the Santa Cruz area beaches.) Parts of Hwy 17 are gorgeous -- surrounded by redwoods, and the fog was settled in at the time, so it was a very picturesque way to hit the big 1-0-0 milestone.

The tour itself was a blast. Very, very nice people in the Loma Prieta Region, and one couple was very good friends with my brother and his wife. We stopped at a car collector's home, and toured his collection, which consisted of some very rare Lincolns, Nationals, Locomobiles, and at least one Cunningham. Plus lots of great stories!

We also went to the Soquel Vineyards and tasted a variety of their wines. I enjoyed the wine so much that I bought half a case!

Then it was to Scotts Valley, to the Tour Director's home, which was nestled in the Redwoods, where we had dessert and more camraderie. All in all, a great day, and a great way to celebrate the 100,000 mile mark.

Oh, and my car was relatively new compared to the cars in the tour. Let's see, the Tour Director bought her '68 912 when it was 9 months old. One of the board members has owned his '70 911T since it was brand new, and another couple has owned their 356 Coupe for over 35 years.

-- Melissa

Last edited by MelissaM; 09-29-2003 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:59 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Evidence!

Here's is the photographic proof that my car has hit the 100,000 mile mark! :-)

We're almost there....

We've made it!

Miles later....

Quick Reply: This is probably a silly question, but....