Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 C4 light refurb

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 02:23 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Next up was dyeing the Linen vinyl. It seems like a good outcome. It's a matte finish and slightly different to the original black vinyl. It will be interesting to see how durable it is.
Attached Images     

Last edited by John McM; 07-28-2016 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:40 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

wow lots of progress John .. like the matt vinyl alot!

Re the dynaliner and the convo we had re noise levels and interior sound - any notes or measurments?
There are db meter apps you can dowload for a phone - interested to hear the impact of the Liner as I found that the matt while it made things 'more solid' didn't do alot for noise ie could hear intake more etc.. I also used closed cell foam instead of the liner .. I'd rather use open cell (much like the stuff you have for the seats) if I were doing it again.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:30 PM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

What product did you use to spray the vinyl?
Old 07-28-2016, 11:27 PM
C4inLA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had know idea that one could do that to vinyl... And it's not going to bleed? Looks good...
Old 07-29-2016, 01:37 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eddieb4
What product did you use to spray the vinyl?
This product that an American brought with him to NZ.
Attached Images   
Old 07-29-2016, 01:38 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4inLA
Had know idea that one could do that to vinyl... And it's not going to bleed? Looks good...
The $64 question. I need to put more coats on these before I install them. If anything will look worn it will be the door pull
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2016, 02:18 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
Nice, very nice. What are you doing for the rear seat pads? I'm not sure whether to use synthetic horse hair or hard foam.
I am having the original cushions recovered .... The originals are made of some curly-q stuff that is tan colored - is that synthetic horse hair?
Old 07-29-2016, 03:44 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jlaa
I am having the original cushions recovered .... The originals are made of some curly-q stuff that is tan colored - is that synthetic horse hair?
Yes, the tan stuff. One of mine, pictured, is distorted. I don't think I can replicate that in horse hair. I might just use my high density foam. I'm getting brand new leather covers in Black.
Attached Images     
Old 07-29-2016, 08:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HiWind
wow lots of progress John .. like the matt vinyl alot! Re the dynaliner and the convo we had re noise levels and interior sound - any notes or measurments? There are db meter apps you can dowload for a phone - interested to hear the impact of the Liner as I found that the matt while it made things 'more solid' didn't do alot for noise ie could hear intake more etc.. I also used closed cell foam instead of the liner .. I'd rather use open cell (much like the stuff you have for the seats) if I were doing it again.
Thanks. Despite the best of intentions I didn't get the raw metal dB levels. That said as I have back to back C4s to drive I'd say so far it sounds pretty much like the stock set up. I need to take it on a noisy road surface to really see.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:23 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Just received notification that my parts order has been despatched from the UK. It should be waiting for me when I fly back in to the Country. In it I have ordered the following:

Right hand 993 suspension air deflector. That's the curved part that connects to the control arm, directing air on the brakes. Mine has obviously taken a hit at some stage which broke the front bolt tab. As a result it flaps into the tyre and makes an annoying noise.

Right hand cabin heater hose. I tried to remove the original when doing the bonnet pull handle and it tore. I then found out that any breach of that hose and you get unbearable full footwell heat.

Front suspension gasket and clips. I could have just forgone the gaskets and put old clips on but I can't see the point of doing all of this work without going those last few yards. Do it right or not at all.

New H&R sports springs. The old ones were an unknown make and had rips in their coating. Even though I will likely sell this car I can't bring myself to do this half hearted. That and the fact that the B6 and H&R combo is a classic. Sure there are other options now, but for road use these are great and effectively mirror what I have on my white C4.

Drain plugs for the frunk. These are missing on my other C4 as well. What happens to the drain plug hoses in the frunk floor? If you lose them then road water can splash inside the frunk. Not a disaster but why not fix it when Porsche had a solution?

AC belts. Just as a precaution that I may want to change them. I may be getting soft but I'm more and more appreciating that working AC is worthwhile. It demists in winter and cools in Summer, especially at the track.

Ignition switch surround - just to finish off that interior.

Rotor arm, to go with a spare dizzy cap I bought. Really just in case, as are the two spare coils and inductance tester I bought. A friend just found out his primary coil wasn't working on his C2. How many 964 owners are missing out on that last 20hp because just one coil is working?

Anyway the first goal is front suspension back in. Only 7 days to wait until I can do it.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:21 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

First day back in the same country as the car and started small. New frunk drains. Such a small price to have the frunk protected from road spray. Both cars were missing all of their drains
Attached Images    
Old 08-14-2016, 12:23 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Then onto the front right air duct. The old one had lost its front tab. As I drove it flapped into the control arm and made a racket. I also replaced the ignition surround. With 20/20 hindsight that was a waste of time given the old one was good.
Attached Images    

Last edited by John McM; 08-14-2016 at 04:25 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:27 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Front suspension was next up. I was disappointed to find out my B6 shocks were supplied with lock nuts but no spring perches (thanks Matthew for solving the enigma as to why my springs were not fitting properly). That's being sorted. All the other parts were good. Btw interesting to note my old springs are effectively copy cat H&R.
Attached Images     
Old 08-14-2016, 12:30 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

With no suspension to fit I decided to do the ugly job of removing the after market alarm. I don't like immobilisers and this alarm went off if the battery got low so it was a double dislike. I will fit a geofence alarm.
Attached Images  
Old 08-14-2016, 12:34 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Finally I fitted an expanding nut in the door inner skin. Right now you are thinking whoopdeedoo. I mention it for two reasons.

1. It took three weeks to get the part.

2. I think it's worthwhile pointing out that the door card screws should not be over tightened as the nut is square to fit in a square hole in the door which holds the nut. If you round it off the whole assembly will rotate making the screw hard to undo.
Attached Images   

Last edited by John McM; 08-14-2016 at 04:28 AM.

Quick Reply: 964 C4 light refurb