Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 C4 light refurb

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 08:28 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 568 Likes on 340 Posts

On a C4 there are two sets of clutch plates. This image shows the plates controlling front/rear grip. Mine were worn but not damaged. However replaced anyway. As the Gylon discs are no longer stocked you need to put a new system with Valeo discs in = $$$.
Attached Images    
Old 01-03-2016, 08:32 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The other clutch plates control rear left/right slip. Mine were very worn, damaged in some areas. This is probably because I track my car. Again, replacement with Valeo discs is the only option.
Attached Images   
Old 01-04-2016, 08:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

The car went in for its road worthiness certificate today. Surprisingly they picked up that one of the headlight lenses has an incorrect beam pattern. It looks like I've had one for the left hand market, for the last three years, which is no good for a fully right hand drive market. The rest looks ok.

On another note, luckily, the transmission mount insert arrived in time to be fitted. I let the shop do this while it was up on the hoist. A look while it was up there revealed a small oil seepage on the case seam. Given the rest of the engine is clean I know this is a leak there as opposed to oil from elsewhere. The mechanic said Porsche use a special wicking loctite for this. I may try that later. It's not serious enough to worry about.
Attached Images  
Old 01-04-2016, 11:22 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

great pics of the gearbox internals - how did your ring and pinion look wear-wise John?
Old 01-05-2016, 01:22 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HiWind
great pics of the gearbox internals - how did your ring and pinion look wear-wise John?
Apparently they were fine.

The mechanic said someone had been in there before which I found interesting and the diff bolts wouldn't torque correctly. New bolts weren't cheap either

On a positive note the gearshift is so sweet. Like the cliche 'rifle bolt'
Old 01-09-2016, 05:34 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

One of the last items to fit, a new car stereo. The Sony was good enough for the job, and you can blank out some of the display bling, but overall the Keinzle is just a better aesthetic fit.

Luckily the wire coding appears to be generic these days so fitting it was a matter of connecting wires I'd already identified when I installed the Sony. I chose to solder rather than crimp this time as it's less prone to poor connections, plus it doesn't bulk up the loom.
Attached Images        
Old 01-09-2016, 05:46 PM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

you can paint the **** to hide it a little better if you like...
The **** pulls off and the ring unclips

Old 01-09-2016, 05:52 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tdiquattro
you can paint the **** to hide it a little better if you like... The **** pulls off and the ring unclips
Thanks for the tip. I've moved on to finishing off the drain clean on my Cayenne so I'll have a better look when I've finished that crappy job.
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2016, 01:14 AM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, in your stereo installation photos (1st and 3rd) do you know the purpose of the black plastic holder with holes under the dash?
As mine is empty but can be opened and closed.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:21 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by g60pops
John, in your stereo installation photos (1st and 3rd) do you know the purpose of the black plastic holder with holes under the dash?
As mine is empty but can be opened and closed.
I wondered that as well. Maybe it holds the wiring? I tried that but it wouldn't work.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:31 AM
tdiquattro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

it is just to diffuse the air coming from that vent, if it isnt fitted the air comes out concentrated in one place.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:32 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That radio does look nice. It appears to belong there.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:23 AM
koenig_roland
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

great stuff!

Can you say something about the smoothness of shifts/shifting-qualitiy compared to the feeling before the gearbox overhaul?
Old 01-10-2016, 06:34 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by koenig_roland
great stuff! Can you say something about the smoothness of shifts/shifting-qualitiy compared to the feeling before the gearbox overhaul?
Difficult to say really as I had already changed the engine mounts and plastic cups in the linkage prior to the rebuild.

Aside from the graunching in the 2/3 shift it felt smooth before the rebuild.

Right now it feels like a rifle bolt. A smooth precise mechanical action from 1st to 5th. Tomorrow I will take it to the track and see how it shifts when under pressure and hot.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:54 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

And the track day shakedown provided more drama than expected....

I had driven a total of 100km on the rebuilt box and all seemed OK, but the track tested a different type of driving and it didn't turn out well.

Redline in first, OK. Redline in 2nd, OK. Rev to 5,000 rpm in 3rd and the gear pops into neutral. What the... Short shift from 3rd to 4th and Ok. Same with 5th. Also a slight snick from 2nd to 3rd.

Something is not right. The box builder acknowledged that there was a problem after testing it for a few laps, said It's ok to shift around it for the day, but it needs to be redone A few laps later and there's a clunk. The box is stuck in third. The only way to get it moving is forward in third with the clutch giving a means of stopping.

The car is being trailered to the box rebuilders shop to have it all pulled out again. Grim faces, but kept professional as it should be. No point getting worked up when there's no control or information. Albeit I'm on tenterhooks to know what's wrong and hoping this is just sorted.

As I understand it there is nothing adjustable in the gear set portion of the G64 box. It either fits together or it doesn't. A fellow Rennlister had a similar issue with a box rebuild where a washer/shim was incorrectly located on the box, it affected the 1/2 shift because the gears were misaligned. Ultimately the synchro ring came adrift and his box was stuck in that gear. It sounds similar to my issue, but I'm just guessing right now. He also said that the Porsche manual may incorrectly note the parts placement. Again, just guessing. Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: 964 C4 light refurb