Sponsored by:

cross country trailering advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 01:43 PM
AK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cross country trailering advice

In the coming month or so I am going to be packing up and moving from Florida to Washington state. I am thinking that I will be renting a car trailer and towing the 964 behind a Uhaul or such. Any advice on tie down points and avoiding rock dings. Idealy I would like to get some type of protectant like new cars have when they are delivered that can be applied and taken off upon arival.

Any one elses car trailering experiences are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Allen, do what you can to protect the nose of the car, make sure the U-haul has BIG mud flaps or you're sure to get dings.

Also, put your mirrors inward, they are nice "targets" for road debris.

You can use a Magbra or get ahold of the roll-on latex...but keep in mind it IS water soluble, so if it rains, it will fog up and likely come off.

Some good 'ol "Redneck Engineering" comes to mind, so short of doing anything that would in fact damage your paint, try and think of something, even if it means constructing some guard out of plywood and strapping it to the trailer??

Walmart sells the smaller straps for about $6...I use them to hold tires down inside my trailer, etc.

Good luck!

P.S. - the U-Haul trailers are HEAVY!!
Old 09-23-2003, 03:30 PM
Cuppie
Racer

Make sure the car is loaded engine first!!

Strap thru the wheels or use the type of strap that goes around the wheels and secures front and back.

Check the straps after a few miles and then every few hundred.

Don't panic when you suddenly see a car going backwards in your rear view mirror. ;-)

Do check the nose weight.

Mel
Old 09-24-2003, 11:49 AM
AK
Instructor

Thanks for the advice. I am thinking some sort of plywood guard may be the way to go.

Mel, why do you say tow it backwards? Weight balance issues I would assume?

Thanks
Old 09-24-2003, 03:06 PM
Cuppie
Racer

"Mel, why do you say tow it backwards? Weight balance issues I would assume? "

In one................tow with the engine at the back and you will get some interesting handling problems -tail wagging the dog.....

The previous Porsche Club GB Pres tried this with a show car and ended up facing the way he had been driving with a large hole in the side of the tow vehicle..........a salutory lesson...nobody told him and he wasn't experinced at towing.

Also, under braking, but particluarly down hills, brake to get the trailer brakes working and, if necessary, go down a gear or two so you can control the descent on the accelorator, NOT the brake. I tow with both a Mitsubishi Shogun and a 22' long motorhome, and d'ya know, I prefer the motorhome!! Rig ends up 44' long but will cruise happily at 55-60 no probs.

Mel
Old 09-24-2003, 05:54 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Okay, wait a minute here...AK, do you have a tail/wing on your 964??

I have an RSA tail on mine and tow the car facing frontwards for MILES and MILES and MILES - probably 40-50K or so??

With NO issues.

You will want to load your 911 a bit more forward than you would say a Mustang (with front engine) or similar car, to get the engine weight more forward.

I have towed in the rain/sleet/snow/dry/in the mountains/in the valleys, anywhere you name it, with GREAT success...you just have to use your head, get the car strapped down correctly and make good driving decisions.

If you are in fact towing behind a U-Haul truck, you have NOTHING to worry about as your 3100lb 964 will NOT affect the handling of that PIG.

Good luck, the folks at U-Haul can usually give decent advice, but remember it's probably not too often that a customer needs to tow a 964.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:16 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Unhappy

Just a note
I tried to rent a car carrier from Uhual here in Florida and was told the 964 would not fit on it because of clearance problems. Maybe where you are they will have a special hauler for low cars.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:10 PM
AK
Instructor

I just have a standard C2 no extra wings and stock 4x4 ride height.

Unless anyone has a good reason not to it seems that towing backwards would be the way to go.

I saw on Uhauls website the same thing about it not fitting. I will have to take a look at the trailers and see what works and what does not. That may make a difference as to what company I go with. Guess that I need to get out with a tape measure.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:27 PM
Cuppie
Racer

The clearance problem is usually unloading and unloading.

On my tiltbed ramp, I fit what they call adjustor ramps, just 3' long, they extend out enough to allow my Cup Car to clear. Without them, it will snag, I've tried it.

The alternative is to put blocks of wood at the foot of the bed or ramps and screw the jockey wheel right up to make the approach constant. Some cars will snag underneath on the ramp/trailer join.

Mel
Old 09-26-2003, 12:56 PM
AK
Instructor

Looked at the Uhaul trailer yesterday. It did not look like it should be a problem with a stock US ride height car. If it is a problem, I am sure that I could use the decline of a drive way or some other such ramp to make it work.

Thanks for all the help and ideas.

Quick Reply: cross country trailering advice