On again off again

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2003, 02:27 PM
Tobbe Bergsten
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question On again off again

Hello all;

Whenever I turn on the ignotion, there's a fan that goes on again off again every five to ten seconds. Doesn't matter if the engine is running or not or if the heating / cooling fan is on or off.

It seems to be located under the hood, front and left which makes me think it might have something to do with the AC unit?

My car is a 900 C2 convertible.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-23-2003, 05:26 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Dear Tobbe,
I am afraid you will have to be far more specific. You need to be sure. The left side is the condenser-mixer fan. This is activated by selecting aircon "on". Please check that your aircon switch is not selected on.
The cause of this problem can be multiple and you need to check that with the aircon on does the compressor also cycle on and off. Knowing this will help out quite a bit.
The most common cause of this problem is the ballast resistor.
Relay R14 is the controlling relay.
The fan is ultimately controlled by the control unit mounted in the dash but I will advise that we check all other causes first before telling you to replace this.
Ciao,
Adrian
964C4
Old 09-26-2003, 02:13 PM
Tobbe Bergsten
Intermediate

Default AC off

OK, I turned off the AC and the on again off again phenomena disappeared. What's next?

Old 09-26-2003, 04:02 PM
91C2wrencher
Racer

Tobbe, who's your A/C working? This sounds like the condensor cooling fan(and its located in the front left wheelwell). It could be a sign that your freon charge is low. Have a peek in the lower grill with a flashlight and be sure the coils are not covered by some debree(sp?)
Old 09-26-2003, 05:12 PM
Tobbe Bergsten
Intermediate

Default Roger that

Hello fellow p-car fanatic;

I recently had the AC converted from freon to R134 (or something like that). On a side note, there's another thread that deals with a conversion like that and it seems like that guy got ripped off. I checked my invooice and the labor was $156 and the colling medium around $35, so a total of $190 and it's working fine. It's definitely blowing cool air. I live in Southern California and we've had triplpe digits since late June, so the AC is still pathetically inadequate, but i guess it wasn't designed for this kind of heat.

I'll definitely check that wheelwell and post what I see.

Thanks for your advice!

Old 09-26-2003, 05:15 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cycling of the fan like this (if it is the one in front of the LHS front wheel well, and only happens with your air con on) is probably because the ballast resistor has died. Although - I had this and it was because the connector wasn't plugged in properly. Do a search and you should find details of how to check / replace it.

Quick Reply: On again off again