Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me diagnose a steering problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015 | 07:57 PM
biggynuts01
Instructor

Default Help me diagnose a steering problem

My 964 C4 drives straight and smooth but after making a left turn the steering wheel tends to stay cocked to the left a bit at right between 10 and 11 o'clock.

The car will also drive to the left slightly. However when i turn right its self corrects to center.

There seem to be no issues when i turn right. I could this be a worn bushing? Steering rack problems?
Old 09-29-2015 | 10:05 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Has this always been this way or is this a recent change? If its recent, was any work done on the car? If not, I would check the basics. Is your power steering fluid reservoir full? Check your steering column universal bolts. Are they tight? What condition are your ball joints and tie rod ends. Are your tire pressures set correctly? When was your last alignment?
Old 09-29-2015 | 11:47 AM
biggynuts01
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Has this always been this way or is this a recent change? If its recent, was any work done on the car? If not, I would check the basics. Is your power steering fluid reservoir full? Check your steering column universal bolts. Are they tight? What condition are your ball joints and tie rod ends. Are your tire pressures set correctly? When was your last alignment?
I picked up the car used back in august. But it has driven this way since i bought it. I recently have new suspension and alignment. Neither helped.

The car drives straight when pointed straight but the steering is very hard. Feels like manual steering until the car gets moving. And when i turn left the steering wheel does not fully return to center.

I replaced the ball joints but the front drop links have torn boots and probably need replacing also. All signs point to a failing steering rack or possibly a faulty pump.
Old 09-29-2015 | 03:44 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

If you suspect its not the ball joints, you can disconnect the tie rod ends and then try to move the spindles back and forth to see if you feel any resistance or binding. If there isn't any, then your problem is either the steering column, steering rack or power steering hydraulics.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Help me diagnose a steering problem