Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will this buff out? (can I/should I fix or part out)

Old 09-11-2015, 02:17 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for your off.

As Steve said, it can be repaired, and with the right bodyshop (artist?) it will come out better than new.

My car was hit and totaled ~5 years ago and it was fully restored to better than new. It took a long time (can't rush a restoration) and cost about break-even to valuation today, but I am very happy I got to keep the car.

(And sorry I meant to more formally introduce myself and my car with its own thread, but here goes my write-up on another board.)

http://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=33094

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:30 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Sorry to see that. I'd have a hard time looking at that for 1.5 years without tearing into it.

Your approach to car maintenance sounds like mine. Why not pull both fenders & hood and trailer the car to a reputable body shop that works on older Porsches. Pay them to check all of the chassis points and then decide your next step. It may be that the tub needs a few tugs and the front apron/spare tire well replaced.

Then you can do all of the detail work & assembly on your time.

Andreas
Old 09-11-2015, 06:07 PM
touque
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Earlydays
Looks like the "collapsible spare" did its job in absorbing some of the front impact!
Definitely - I was still going pretty fast when I smoked the pole...

Originally Posted by robt964
>I drove the car home

Impressed ! Looking at where the battery normally sits I'd of thought it was pulped.
The car didn't shut off so I kept it running. It definitely didn't start after I got it home.

Originally Posted by cobalt
I hate to say it but your looking at a huge undertaking. It is not a one person job and to do it properly takes experience. Helped do a similar project on a C4 wide body and it took a year at the body shop. Another concern is getting the proper front clip. A lot has changed over the MY of the 964.

DO your research carefully before you start.

I wish you all the best if you decide to do it.
Thanks Cobalt. It's been sitting there bothering me for a long time. I want to do it but it's definitely not for the faint of heart I think...

Originally Posted by 964George
Exactly my thoughts, people bang on about the spare being part of the crash protection, this proves the point
I've tried to wedge that sucker out but I'm going to have to cut everything out...

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Maybe.

Wonder if the strut brace helped or hurt also? Lots of people say that can cause extra front end damage since it ties the front end together...
I've read that too - hopefully it didn't in this case...

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Its quite fixable, however you will need a Celette or Car Bench to confirm everything is back in its proper position after replacing the damaged bodywork. While you can likely handle the mechanical bits, the rest is not a job for someone inexperienced with this kind of work in order to preserve its value.

At a certain age and rarity (most all 964's), a car's condition trumps that salvage title.
Thanks Steve. I'm guessing you guys have the Celette or Car Bench? IF I do find I can go ahead here, I'll definitely want to do this right and not completely hack it together.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:18 PM
touque
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 986
Sorry for your off.

As Steve said, it can be repaired, and with the right bodyshop (artist?) it will come out better than new.

My car was hit and totaled ~5 years ago and it was fully restored to better than new. It took a long time (can't rush a restoration) and cost about break-even to valuation today, but I am very happy I got to keep the car.

(And sorry I meant to more formally introduce myself and my car with its own thread, but here goes my write-up on another board.)

http://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=33094

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Thanks Toby! I'll sign up and take a look!
Old 09-11-2015, 06:40 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope you fix it, take your time! Don't back date. Maybe go RS inspired.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I disagree on the no backdate from azander. A 964 backdate is the ultimate backdate, and this car is begging for it since major work on the front end is going to be done anyway. I wish I had the cash, the time, and the garage to take on such a project. It would be a lot of fun. Keep us posted on whatever you decide
Old 06-27-2018, 01:07 AM
touque
Addict
Rennlist Member

Long time since my last post on this. It's been WAY too long with this car just sitting here. I've decided to get going on this little project of mine. Bought a front end off a C2 and am finally now taking the fenders off and seeing what I have. I see a plasma torch in my immediate future

If I remember, I'll try to take pictures of progress and get all y'all's (yeah I lived in Texas for 12 years) thoughts and recommendations.

I'm sure this will be easy - hehe - take fenders off, find where to cut - cut my car's front end off - cut the donor off at the same area - weld that sucker together - stick the fenders back on - put on all the bumper bits (to be purchased, as well as a new hood), then paint, then we're done!! lol yes easy - I"m missing about 1,000 steps.

From a way-too busy non-welder but enthusiast, I hope I can get this done. How hard can it be, right?
Old 06-27-2018, 01:43 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 226 Posts

Plan to get it to a body shop with the correct frame jig. I bet money the car is bent.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:06 AM
touque
Addict
Rennlist Member

Passenger fender off. Big crease quite a bit before the shock tower where it bent. At least on the passenger side...

Old 06-27-2018, 02:07 AM
touque
Addict
Rennlist Member

Old 06-27-2018, 05:41 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

That's the spirit! Fix it!
But by all means, have the car put on a celette or like, and have it measured thoroughly. Otherwise the whole exercise is pointless, even risky.
But congratulations for doing!
Old 06-27-2018, 11:08 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts

I'm in.. go for it.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:15 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I know you're excited about getting in there, but before you actually cut anything get it on a bench. a good shop will give it a good tug to get it squared up before looking to replace panels. You don't want to cut and weld and then have them pull on new parts. The place where you can reall save time and money is stripping the car to the point where it is ready to go: body panels, front suspension, steering, fuel tank, probably the AC cassette, basically everything in front of the a pillar. I would talk to the shop. And I would definitely use someone who has experience with early 911s. Pretty clear both front rails are wiped to the right, and it could of twisted the rest of the chassis. Way easier to let them pull on the old damaged panels, they get better leverage on the rack and use less force. Then you have a solid square foundation to build on. And you just might find they can pull out more than you think.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:10 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

^^^^ great advice^^^^
Old 07-06-2018, 07:57 PM
Greg_V
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Troy. All good advice. But why or why do you have a refrigerator shelf in the frunk? ;^) Sounds like the new business is doing better than life in a big corporation. Greg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: will this buff out? (can I/should I fix or part out)