Sponsored by:

Recaro shells question

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 01:48 PM
penpen2015
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recaro shells question

I'm in a bind in the making a decision department and hoping people on the forum can help me out here. I'm currently looking to replace the seats in my 93 964 coupe with a pair of Recaro shells. While I considered Pole Positions, I found I wanted something slightly more supportive and a bit more narrow.

I've looked at SPGs but I also have access to the RSG/TSG lines that are available from Japan. For those that are unaware, these are two seats that are not normally available outside of Japan and are more commonly found on S2000s and the occasional NSX. The TSG is a bit more reclined than the RSG but also gives a bit more headroom, while the RSG apparently shares the same back profile as the SPG. Both are a bit narrower in the shoulder area and a bit tighter in the hip area.

I've had the opportunity to sit in a pole position equipped car and also was able to sit in both the RSG and TSG albeit on a showroom floor. While I found the TSG more comfortable (due to the slightly more reclined position), the salesman had mentioned that the bulk majority of Porsche owners opted for the more upright RSG as the reclined TSG apparently adds too much reclining and could prove to make it hard to reach the steering wheel. Which brings me to my question.

Has anyone here who runs an SPG wish there was more reclining? And if so, do you find the reach of the controls to be perfect or a bit closer? Normally I would try to find someone with a similar car to see if the fit works for me, but the only TSG installation implied that the owner needed to have a higher bracket setting used because he/she couldn't see over the dash comfortably. I'm not sure if it is genuinely a problem or if the owner was a bit short.

Here's a simple article that I found in english that might help explain my problem.

www.jdm-option.com/eng/parts/05_11/recaro.html

And here are some installation pics of the seats in Porsches. Link in Japanese

http://www.autobacs-asm.com/user_voi...%83F&MODEL=911

I only found one installation of a TS-G in all of the links that lead me to think I should just go with the RS-G. Look forward to the feedback from this forum. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Recaro shells question