Sponsored by:

Anyone "upgrade" to newer Porsche Radio/CD

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 08:16 PM
bjb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone "upgrade" to newer Porsche Radio/CD

I have a 1992 C2 Turbo and a also a 1997 Carrera. What I would like to do is put the same radio/CD player that is in the '97 into the '92 in place of the radio/casette player that is in there now. I know that the Porsche radios aren't regarded as great, but I just want a CD player and I'd like to keep it "all Porsche".

The '92 has a Blaupunkt Stuttgart unit and the '97 has a unit labeled "Porsche CDR 210".

1. Does anyone know whether this is an easy "pull it and connect it" switch?

2. Anyone have a working CDR 210, with known security code, that they have upgraded and are looking to part with?

Thanks!

BJB
Old 09-17-2003, 10:12 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Yes, I did exactly what your describe.

I had a CR-1 AM/FM Cassette in my '93 RS America. I wanted an in-dash CD unit with 'Porsche' on it. You can buy a used CDR-210 for $250 or less on Ebay or from a local car stereo store. Ask some Porsche dealers in your area who does their audio work as a start. If the face of the head unit of the used CDR-210 looks bad, you can buy a new head unit for about $100 from your Porsche dealer. With the new head unit, the CDR-210 will look new. The buttons on the head unit have a clear coating/finish that does not wear well so the used unit may not look great when you get it. You might adjust your offer on the CDR-210 to allow for the purchase of the new head unit.

The install was straightforward. The mounting brackets are the same. The wiring was straightforward. You have to locate a wire for the lighted dial in the CDR-210. I don't recall anything else that had to be addressed in the install although it has been a few years so I may have forgotten. The CDR-210 looks just right in the dash and the sound is fine.

If you have not installed audio equipment before you might just have the audio store do it. It takes less than 30 minutes. Since you have another CDR-210 in your '97, you probably have a manual already. The manual may be harder to locate than the radio unit.
Old 09-17-2003, 11:19 PM
Guy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 195 Posts

Hello,

I have a CDR- 220 installed in my 93. I retained the factory Blaupunkt amp and used a CDC-3 Cd changer. Changer and headunit are made by Becker. I bought the unit on EBay used for $150.00. Bought a modified faceplate from Becker (original faceplate not visible when used in 964 due to different viewing angle) for $50. This made the unit absolutely like new. I purchased a wiring harness adapter which made this a plug and play conversion and it is easily returned to stock if desired. On of the better mods I have done. Will post pic if so desired.
Good Luck
Guy

Quick Reply: Anyone "upgrade" to newer Porsche Radio/CD