Sponsored by:

993 Rear Quarter Window Seal Install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 09:22 AM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993 Rear Quarter Window Seal Install DIY

So I installed a set of 993 rear quarter window seals on my 964 and thought I would post a write-up since I ran into a couple challenges.

Part #: 993-543-435-00 993-543-436-00

First you need to remove the trim piece at the bottom of the window on the inside of the car. It is just held in by a few screws.

Next was to remove the old seals and window. I first tried to do this by just lifting up the edge of the seal with my trim tools and pushing the window out. This didn’t work at all. It seems my window had been in there so long it had bonded itself to the frame. So I ended up just cutting all the way around the old seal on the inside with a knife. It was still tricky to push out since it was essentially ‘glued’ in by the old rubber. Best to have someone on the outside while you push on it in case it goes flying out. (I didn’t have a helper so I just put a box with some pillows on it outside the window in case it fell)

Once the window was out there was a real mess left behind. The trim piece below the window is held in by 5 small screws. You might want to buy a new set of these screws before starting this project as mine were rusty and hard to get out without stripping them. There are also 4 rubber washers under the trim piece you will want to save for when you put it all back together. Once the trim piece was out, I gently scraped off what remaining rubber I could with a paint scraper and then used Goo Gone on the rest.

And of course I discovered rust. One big spot towards the front and small spots at each screw hole. I ground everything off with a dremel, used rust converter on them for good measure and then I decided to seal it all back up with Eastwood Rust Encapsulator.

I also had some rust on the trip piece so I took care of that and then primed and painted it black.

For the install I decided to put a bit of silicon on the rubber washers that go under the trim piece to try and prevent further rust. (Sorry forgot to take a picture of that). Then I installed a new seal on the underside of the trim piece (part # 911-799-503-07 – same as the fender seal). Screw the trim piece back in and you are ready for the window.

I had a hard time getting the first window back in. The second one was a little easier. First I sprayed the rubber with some rubber protector to lube it up a bit. Then I used a string around the perimeter of the seal and together with my trim tools I was able to get it in. Sorry I don’t have any pictures as I didn’t have a helper so I couldn’t get my camera out at the same time. I found it best to first line up the straight end of the seal with the b-pillar and get that seal pulled around on the inside of the car. Then while pushing in from the outside I used the string along the bottom of the seal to get that seated. From there I used my trim tools on the top of the seal to pull it in and then my smallest trim tool around the corners. The corners were the hardest part to get in. Once in I had to run my trim tools around the outside of the seal to get everything lined up properly. The final issue I ran into was the headliner on the inside had been torn when I took out the original window (due to it being really stuck in) so now I have an ugly edge around the inside of the window. I’ll try and figure out a way to cover this up soon.

Overall not very difficult to do but mine was very time consuming due to the rust repair I had to do. I think it looks much cleaner now with lower profile seals.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:10 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Does look good. Nice write up. Are those the only seals you can replace with 993? My quarter windows are still in great shape, but I'm going to have to replace my front window seals eventually.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:55 AM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
Does look good. Nice write up. Are those the only seals you can replace with 993? My quarter windows are still in great shape, but I'm going to have to replace my front window seals eventually.
That is a good question. I'm not too sure...hopefully someone else will chime in who has tried them.

I also need to do my front and rear window seals but I'm scared of how much rust are under them.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:03 AM
18T_BT
Racer

That looks like great fun! What made you replace them? Were they leaking?
Old 07-23-2015, 11:06 AM
DobermanDad
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Think he's upgrading the look to those cleaning looking 993 seals. I need to run out my car and see to compare them.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:19 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Timely thread, as I'm doing the same thing.

Did you re-use the 964 windows or did you use 993 windows? I could not get the 964 windows to fit properly and still have a leak at the base of the B-pillar.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:37 PM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

Originally Posted by 18T_BT
That looks like great fun! What made you replace them? Were they leaking?
They weren't leaking but they had shrunk so that the corners were curling up and just didn't look that good anymore.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:39 PM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Stig
Timely thread, as I'm doing the same thing.

Did you re-use the 964 windows or did you use 993 windows? I could not get the 964 windows to fit properly and still have a leak at the base of the B-pillar.
I re-used my 964 windows. (I read somewhere else they were the exact same but I could be mistaken) I haven't done a leak test yet but everything looks like it is sealed up okay.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:51 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Would like to hear the results of the leak test. My body shop guys has suggested using sealant where the leak is. My preference is to get 993 windows instead. I love throwing money at problems
Old 07-23-2015, 01:56 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 74 Posts

I believe the only difference between 964 glass and 993 glass, is that 964 glass has pointed corners and 993 glass are slightly rounded...
Old 07-23-2015, 02:34 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

You are right, George. For some reason, I can't get a good seal with 964 windows. I believe the 993 windows have a slightly different outward curvature too. Though I haven't confirmed this.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:11 PM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

Would like to hear the results of the leak test. My body shop guys has suggested using sealant where the leak is. My preference is to get 993 windows instead. I love throwing money at problems
I'll try and get it outside this weekend and hose it down and see what happens. I'll report back.

Is your leak coming through the window or through the window frame?
Old 07-23-2015, 03:21 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

My leak is at the corner where the B-pillar meets the fender, if that makes sense. Basically, the inside corner where you had the rust spot. The water puddles on the seal in that inside corner and drips into the car. I think the water comes in under the glass (likely because the 993/964 window corners are different) and pushes out of the seal.

I've only changed the driver side window to date. Waiting to do the passenger side.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:13 AM
ChaoticBliss
Instructor

My leak is at the corner where the B-pillar meets the fender, if that makes sense. Basically, the inside corner where you had the rust spot. The water puddles on the seal in that inside corner and drips into the car. I think the water comes in under the glass (likely because the 993/964 window corners are different) and pushes out of the seal.

I've only changed the driver side window to date. Waiting to do the passenger side.
I hosed the windows down for a few minutes this morning and I do not see any leaks coming in the cabin. Some water is getting under the seal where the black trim piece is (which may be normal, I never noticed before) but nothing inside the car.

Quick Reply: 993 Rear Quarter Window Seal Install DIY