Sponsored by:

Anybody go headless stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 02:21 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody go headless stereo?

I have deleted my headunit and replaced it with a cover. Don't need cd player or bells and whistles of a modern headunit.

I only want to use pandora streaming directly to my amp from my iphone.

Anybody else doing this? How do i go about doing it? Is sound quality effected?
Old 06-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup. I have a bluetooth adapter connected directly to my amp. Sounds fine through the jl componant speakers in my doors, without a sub. If I really cared about high end sound quality Id add a sub.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:52 PM
DobermanDad
Drifting

What kinda amp are you using for this? Kinda like the idea of this.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:03 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Not sure yet. Was just surfing the web and saw where streaming Pandora from phone drops it down to 64k. I still want to have hi-fi sound, so need to investigate this.
Anybody else know about streaming rates and a way to get better performance? I think you can just get a bluetooth adaptor and put it on any amp. But if the trade off is poor sound, i'll just get a head unit.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:16 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Default Anybody go headless stereo?

Using a jl audio amp.

I can't speak to the specifics of sound quality, but I imagine it's technically degraded being a non-wired connection.
Fwiw no one has yet to comment on sound quality issues, and the stereo shop that did the install was pleasantly surprised.
Not sure what your car is like, but mine is more or less stripped of all sound deadening, and I have fabspeed headers ect. The stereo is plenty loud and clear. Lacks the low end subs would provide but I didn't want to have the weight/complexity.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:44 PM
sotothehail
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was thinking of doing this as well. I recently installed an Alpine KTP-445U in a buddy's car (370z), and was satisfied with the results. It can take in RCA input or convert line-out from a stock radio and amplify 4 channels. My plan was to use an ordinary 1/8" to RCA adapter and plug it in to my phone.

If wireless sound quality is a concern, I have seen a cool trick to install an Airport express for AirPlay in your car. Better than Bluetooth audio, in my opinion.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-add-air...rele-512312902
Old 06-28-2015, 06:57 PM
Derek911
Racer

Who says the head unit has to be seen? Put it in the trunk, under the seat, wherever... and just use a remote control. Not sure how good the remotes are, but I'm sure there is something out there that would work.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:02 PM
Poli84
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Parrot MK9000i plugged directly into my small amp which is located behind the passenger kick panel.
Although I do also have a head unit, when I am using the Parrot capabilities (BT streaming from Spotify, etc), it bi-passes the head unit altogether. There is a small wireless remote which has volume, call features, pause/skip tracks and this is hidden in my ashtray. When I need to use it, I slide open the tray and access the buttons.

I've often though about removing the head unit and just streaming everything.
Sound quality is fantastic streaming directly to the amp, my speakers have been re-built also.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:40 PM
breljohn
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I deleted my whole interior and was thinking about installing a Bose speaker or something like that.
Just another idea...
Old 06-29-2015, 05:57 PM
DTMLGND
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Cool

I wasn't listening to radio much at all and don't care much for the HU(looks or sound), but I was thinking of being able to hook my iphone up like my other cars that have bluetooth. All I did was buy a 3.5mm to RCA cable (various lengths available) and less than $10. Plugged RCA's directly to amp front channel and other in my iphone and I'm set. Now hands-free phone and can listen to Spotify or anything off my iphone Only drawback is only front speakers, no rear. Music still sounds great through the Polk Audio mids/tweets. Basically, no controls through HU, all from my phone.

Quick Reply: Anybody go headless stereo?