Sponsored by:

Domink Farnbacher had some fun with my Cup car

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 12:16 AM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Domink Farnbacher had some fun with my Cup car

I thought you guys might find this amusing. I was at a DE day at Watkins Glen with my 1992 Euro Carrera Cup and Domink Farnbacher was visiting and just having fun, instructing and taking rides. This young 19 year old is a current Carrera Cup driver in Germany. He's a really nice chap and speaks English well. He comes from a serious Porsche racing family - his father Horst is a winning Porsche Cup racer and currently runs Team Farnbacher racing.

I noticed in my car's Wagenpass that Dominik's father Horst drove my car one time in June 1994 at Carrera Cup Norisring (which he won!) so I thought it would be a hoot to have Dominik drive the car. He was thrilled with the idea and strapped in to take a ride. Since the car only has one seat I didn't have the chance to ride along. Regrets there.

Anyway, he proceeded out on track while I was watching from the paddock. Someone with a radio said to me "What's your car number?" I thought, oh no he had an accident or went off track. But no he was just having so much fun sliding the car around the turns that the flaggers were getting nervous. When I finally saw him coming sideways onto the main straight I knew what they meant - but this kid was driving the car like it was driven "back in the day!".

I wasn't nervous at all, I knew this kid was a real pro. When he finally returned to the paddock he got out of the car giggling. His friend came over and scolded him saying you shouldn't be sliding the car that way, but Dominik said with a big grin "No this is the way the car is supposed to be driven!". Of course he was correct, and he said he remembers the car when his father drove it. He was only 10 years old.

I got a bunch of photos but as luck would have it only the bad ones came out. Oh well. Here is Dominik getting belted in before his "fun run".

Now, I just need to learn to drive it like Dominik...
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2003, 02:30 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

VERY cool story!

I think I would've done the same, offered up a drive to Domink as well...dunno that I would've liked to see the car sideways though!

Funny that he was comfortable enough to drive it that way, being that it's not his and anything could happen...guess he is a "natural".

I see that you will be at the Potomac Club Race...will see you there!

Take it easy on me okay?
Old 09-11-2003, 10:21 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great story and a very generous gesture, JC.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:49 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Ditto to what Joey said!

Old 09-11-2003, 10:55 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

What a great story! Time to fit a passenger seat I think (just in case something like this ever happens again)

Edit - 19!!!

Quick Reply: Domink Farnbacher had some fun with my Cup car