Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear change problems - clutch or box?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 07:48 PM
Dr Mitch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine ended up being another broken pin. Too bad I didn't have time to look for myself, could have a saved a bit of $$. But the replaced a few other "little" things for me.
Hope you get yours worked out.
Lesson learned, I think I'll order a spare pin and keep it with my extra relay switch!
Old 05-31-2015, 02:02 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought mine was the roll pin, but alas it turned out to be the clutch master cyl. If you are doing the roll pin check the fluid at the master. Mine was horrible, a thick grease like graphite coloured mess, yet the slave looked fine when bled. My master had actually broken the retaining cup inside the piston. Replacing it and 1 litre of fluid, hey presto I now have a great clutch again.

K
Old 05-31-2015, 04:32 PM
GMK
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dr Mitch, glad your car is back on the road again and while you probably would have saved some money by replacing it yourself, I guess you should be glad it was nothing more serious.

Hey warmfuzzies, how do you check the fluid at the master cylinder? Is it difficult?

My clutch roll pin looked like the picture below when I finally managed to get it out, so I'm hoping a new one will solve my problems. I do have a feeling that my gear changing problems are caused by more serious (hydraulic) issues, and will receive an offer from my local workshop on replacement of slave and master cylinder, as well as complete clutch replament tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:41 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GMK

Dr Mitch, glad your car is back on the road again and while you probably would have saved some money by replacing it yourself, I guess you should be glad it was nothing more serious.

Hey warmfuzzies, how do you check the fluid at the master cylinder? Is it difficult?

My clutch roll pin looked like the picture below when I finally managed to get it out, so I'm hoping a new one will solve my problems. I do have a feeling that my gear changing problems are caused by more serious (hydraulic) issues, and will receive an offer from my local workshop on replacement of slave and master cylinder, as well as complete clutch replament tomorrow.

Took the Master cyl to bits, simple job. pull out plunger arm , and out pops the piston. Just be careful on reassembly not to tear the seals.

K
Old 06-01-2015, 02:01 PM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMK

I think you have found the problem, mine looked like that too and solved the exact symptoms you describe.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:32 PM
GMK
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jevvy964
I think you have found the problem, mine looked like that too and solved the exact symptoms you describe.
Super relieved to say that I think jevvy was right!

I finally got thet roll pin this saturday, spent the sunday replacing the pin and installing the pedal assembly again and the clutch now feels good. I did experience some squeeking from what I believe to be the slave cylinder during the first drive after install, but that has now gone away, and all feels normal.

Considering the amount of $$$ saved from not sending the car directly to a Porsche workshop, I'm pretty stoked. This was my first DIY ever (granted a pretty small one) and it feels good

I'm having the valves and rocker arms adjusted (2000 km post rebuild adjustment) done in a couple of weeks, and I'll have the workshop inspect the clutch then. Until then I need to add roughly 500 km on the car, so it's gonna be some busy evenings forward. Fortunately spring has finally come to Norway, so it's all good

I want to thank you all for tips and insight! Highly appreciated!
Old 06-09-2015, 03:31 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Good to know you fixed it all. There's a lot of satisfaction and learning from having a go yourself. Plus, your not up against the garage hourly rate clock having to rush the job. Nice one...
Old 06-10-2015, 06:32 PM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMK
Considering the amount of $$$ saved from not sending the car directly to a Porsche workshop, I'm pretty stoked. This was my first DIY ever (granted a pretty small one) and it feels good
Great work, nothing more satisfying than a cheap diy fix to a problem, good luck with the rest of the break in miles
Old 06-10-2015, 09:05 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GMK
I'm having the valves and rocker arms adjusted (2000 km post rebuild adjustment) done in a couple of weeks
You should order the Kirk Engine Valve Lash Adjustment Tool and DIY. It makes the job almost foolproof. Even if you have never done it before, your valves will sound better than they would from any mechanic working with a feeler gauge. The tool is as cool as the Snap-On Digital TechAngle wrench or a Festool Domino. It is that awesome!
Old 08-11-2015, 03:58 PM
WadeC4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What size is the pin? Can someone measure it? I'll stop at Ace and pick one up before I knock the old one out. Or I guess I can stop at the dealer for a few cents more.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:33 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by WadeC4
What size is the pin? Can someone measure it? I'll stop at Ace and pick one up before I knock the old one out. Or I guess I can stop at the dealer for a few cents more.
I have spares at home. I can measure it tonight
Old 08-11-2015, 06:52 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

The roll pin measures 5.74-6.2mm in diameter and is 28mm long. The diameter is not a perfect circle. The hole in the clutch pedal shaft is 6mm.

Quick Reply: Gear change problems - clutch or box?