Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 03:14 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Replacing stereo speaker questions

I've read a lot of the threads, but have a couple questions:

1. Are most people replacing both tweeter and woofer or going with single front speaker and removing the tweeter from the equation?
2. If I install tweeters, what is the size of the hole in the door card (I'm on travel and can't take the measurements). Most tweeters now seem to be way too small, has anyone figured out the best approach to installing the smaller tweeters? Any recommendation of a speaker/tweeter setup that has larger tweeters to make the fitting easier?
3. If I don't install tweeters other than just putting the grill back on, are there any better solutions?

Thanks,
-Skip
Old 05-13-2015, 10:18 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Skip,

I upgraded my audio back in 2003, a couple of years after I bought my C2. I wanted to keep everything looking close to stock but at the same time I wanted to improve the sound. As noted, the components I used back then have been superseded but I'm sure equivalent components are available.

For the door panels, I looked at what others were doing and ended up using MB Quart RCE 216 Reference speakers. Of course these are no longer available but I think they are similar to the PVM216 model on their website. I remember that the tweeters were pretty much drop in replacements but because the woofers are 6.5" they required some trimming of the door card. No modification of the door metal was required since these speakers came with a mounting ring that raised them out of the door about 1/2" and allowed the frame and magnet to clear the original mounting hole. You can see they look close to stock in the picture. The upside of having a pair of 6.5" drivers vs. the original 5" units is a great improvement in bass response without having to go to a sub-woofer box behind the seat.

On the rear deck I used Alpine SPS460A 4 x 6 oval coax units which were a drop-in replacement. The only issue I had was that the factory grills did not clip on to the Alpine speakers like the originals so I just used a few dabs of silicon to hold them in place but still allow easy removal. They have stayed put for 12 years now!

To add a bit of punch I installed a 360W Alpine amp under the passenger seat. At the same time, I ditched the Pioneer head unit the PO had put in and installed a Porsche CR-210 along with the matching CDC-3 trunk mounted CD changer.

The whole combo has sounded great and I have had no regrets.

Good luck!

Jim G.
Attached Images     
Old 05-14-2015, 10:09 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Jim,

Thanks and nice install. I have a 4 way Alpine under my passenger seat and the CDR220 head unit, which is much like yours. Your info on the front speakers has been very helpful, so thank you.

-Skip
Old 05-14-2015, 10:27 PM
mrmandmman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed Infinity 4629CFP 180W (Peak) 4 x 6 -Inch Custom Fit Two-Way Plate Speakers in the back and Infinity Reference 5030cs 5.25-Inch, 225-Watt High Performance Two-Way Component System in the doors. Sound is decent and no cutting required.

Originally Posted by swftiii
I've read a lot of the threads, but have a couple questions:

1. Are most people replacing both tweeter and woofer or going with single front speaker and removing the tweeter from the equation?
2. If I install tweeters, what is the size of the hole in the door card (I'm on travel and can't take the measurements). Most tweeters now seem to be way too small, has anyone figured out the best approach to installing the smaller tweeters? Any recommendation of a speaker/tweeter setup that has larger tweeters to make the fitting easier?
3. If I don't install tweeters other than just putting the grill back on, are there any better solutions?

Thanks,
-Skip
Old 05-15-2015, 01:47 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Whatever you do mount the speakers on the doors and not on the cardboard, I didn't do this the first time with my Focals, then went back and did it and holy cow what a difference! I went from must figure out how to get a sub in the car, to I can wait until I have time to figure out to fit a sub in the car. I do believe if I had done the 6" or 6.5" focals I wouldn't have bothered with the sub. the 5.25" needed one
Old 01-17-2023, 03:41 PM
997 tt/rs
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by C24FUN
Skip,

I upgraded my audio back in 2003, a couple of years after I bought my C2. I wanted to keep everything looking close to stock but at the same time I wanted to improve the sound. As noted, the components I used back then have been superseded but I'm sure equivalent components are available.

For the door panels, I looked at what others were doing and ended up using MB Quart RCE 216 Reference speakers. Of course these are no longer available but I think they are similar to the PVM216 model on their website. I remember that the tweeters were pretty much drop in replacements but because the woofers are 6.5" they required some trimming of the door card. No modification of the door metal was required since these speakers came with a mounting ring that raised them out of the door about 1/2" and allowed the frame and magnet to clear the original mounting hole. You can see they look close to stock in the picture. The upside of having a pair of 6.5" drivers vs. the original 5" units is a great improvement in bass response without having to go to a sub-woofer box behind the seat.

On the rear deck I used Alpine SPS460A 4 x 6 oval coax units which were a drop-in replacement. The only issue I had was that the factory grills did not clip on to the Alpine speakers like the originals so I just used a few dabs of silicon to hold them in place but still allow easy removal. They have stayed put for 12 years now!

To add a bit of punch I installed a 360W Alpine amp under the passenger seat. At the same time, I ditched the Pioneer head unit the PO had put in and installed a Porsche CR-210 along with the matching CDC-3 trunk mounted CD changer.

The whole combo has sounded great and I have had no regrets.

Good luck!

Jim G.
I just dismantled these speakers because they do not play medium frequencies at all. This is a great set, but only if you add a dedicated midrange speaker....

Quick Reply: Replacing stereo speaker questions