Sponsored by:

Sunroof microswitch issue, or...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 12:14 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof microswitch issue, or...?

I noticed yesterday that the sunroof on my '89 C4 was not closed flush with the roofline in the right rear corner only. It is down 5-7mm from being flush, but it is fully flush on the left side. I was thinking that a microswitch might be out of adjustment on the right side (are there individual ones for right and left?) but then I looked at the 'gap' width from between the front edge of the sunroof and the roofline, and that seems consistent all the way across. So maybe not a microswitch issue.

How does the sunroof close in its final stages? Does it go all the way forward, then pop up in the back with spring tension, or ? I have opened and closed it several times, but the end result is always the same: Just slightly low in the right rear corner.

Any suggestions? Maybe just a lubrication issue?

TIA,
Tom
Old 09-05-2003, 12:25 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I seem to remember there's a write up on Pelican about it.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:28 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I don't think there are micro-switches in the sunroof - at least on mine, it will continue trying to drive the motor if I keep the button pressed.

But - the problem with the corners can be adjusted out. If you open the sunroof just a few inches. then you can pull the lining down at the front (it just clips in to the front of the sunroof). You can then carefully push it back so you can see the bottom of the sunroof itself. On both sides, there are knurled adjusters which will lower / raise the roof on that side. They are not that easy to get to, but it is possible and you should be able to make the roof even this way.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:08 PM
jaybro
Intermediate

Default Sunroof

Hi TMH

A link on the cable raises the sunroof panel at the rear. If this happened all of a sudden I would suspect the link on the cable is broken or it is stripped back by the gear box under the Zipper. You will just have to push the liner back after releasing it from the front edge and do a visual inspection.

Jaybro
1990 C-2
Old 09-05-2003, 01:17 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your quick replies, guys.

John: Thanks, I'll do a Pelican tech search.

Dave: Makes sense, but it just seemed to start doing this.

Jaybro: Sounds like you might have hit it on the nose.

All: I'm glad it's Friday so I can expose its innerds this weekend and figure out what is going on in there.

Thanks again,
Tom

Quick Reply: Sunroof microswitch issue, or...?