Sponsored by:

Help Andial

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 11:16 PM
renn-boxer
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help Andial

Can anyone tell me what this is? Its installed in my 964 C4 but I have no idea what it is. Thanks for the help.
Attached Images  
Old 04-13-2015, 12:13 AM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Turbocharger intercooler gauge

When you compress air witha turbocharger, it heats the air.... for best effeciency with a boosted engine, yo need to manage the charge temperature both the air temp going into the intercooler (gives a rough approx. of turbo temp. condiiton) and you also need to know how much it has cooled the air down (charge temp leaving the intercooler) On earlier engines, especially with variable boost (cockpit controlled bypass controls,) you needed to be careful that you did not over charge your engine with excessive hot air... or you literally could ruin your engine. Some early engine builder would look at these temps and manually turn on either/both alcohol,water injectors to help minimize detonation caused by excessive charge temps.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:11 AM
renn-boxer
Advanced

Thanks turbotwoshoes, that is great information, but the thing is its on a 1991c4 non turbo with no indication that it ever had a turbocharger or intercooler. i am also very aware of the detonation problem having had a 76 930 with a frozen wast-gate. i would like to remove this from my 964 C4 just making sure
there is no purpose.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:18 AM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default That is odd...

Wonder what they were using it for???
Old 04-13-2015, 01:31 AM
renn-boxer
Advanced

I found a temp 9maybe probe up front by the oil cooler and on inside by the drivers seat that did not look like porsche installed so I have no idea, think I will per for the removal next weekend. And i have no idea what it was for. After talking with some of the shops that maintained the car there was never any modifications done to the nornaly-asperated 3.6???? Just wanted you guys to help with my questions and puzzlement.

Quick Reply: Help Andial