Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has the day come when a 964 is worth more than a 993?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 05:31 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

look, just like the 964

Old 06-16-2015, 05:56 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
so I can understand this:

On the 964, porsche couldn't make a body panel worth a damn, so they had to have the guys on the assembly line whack it with hammers and dollies until it fit properly, whereas on the 993, the part was produced properly and fit without additional work.

good to know.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:27 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

porsche couldn't make a body panel worth a damn
Wow! if this is how you feel, your on the wrong forum.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:07 AM
Logik
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monitoring list prices across the internet over the last 3 weeks, 993 average price is $46k and 964 average price is $40k. This excludes absurdly priced turbos and speedsters.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:28 AM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cobalt
By September of 1994 the first boxster's and 993's were coming off the same revised assembly line. .
Boxster production began at the former Porsche 928 facility in Stuttgart, Germany in 1996. Nice try.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:46 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,355 Posts

so I can understand this:

On the 964, porsche couldn't make a body panel worth a damn, so they had to have the guys on the assembly line whack it with hammers and dollies until it fit properly, whereas on the 993, the part was produced properly and fit without additional work.

good to know.
If you know about manufacturing you know that is not true. There is a huge difference between how the parts were made. Mechanized manufacturing gives you a part within a given tolerance which is quite broad. As a concours judge one thing we look for is uniformity of the gaps. The 964 parts might have needed finessing to fit properly but the car and time taken usually ended up in a closer than min tolerance fit since the person doing the work was a craftsman who usually went beyond min tolerances and had a process and pride in workmanship that was engineered out due to necessity. I have measured the gaps on the doors of my turbo and i found a maximum variance of .010" at its worst and pretty much uniform within .005" throughout the entire panel. I have seen factory original 993's with far greater variations in their gaps, so which is better is subjective from an end product it is clear the 993 was less labor intensive to build. I spent most of my life measuring parts to close tolerances so my eye is trained to pick up on these things and it stands out to me when I see it.

Originally Posted by Dan V
Boxster production began at the former Porsche 928 facility in Stuttgart, Germany in 1996. Nice try.
Boy I screwed that one up was rushing to get someplace and should have reviewed it better. However the video will show the new assembly line used to build the 993 which was later tooled to include the boxster. I don't speak German so maybe someone can translate. But clearly this is far more similar to how the newer cars are manufactured than the older ones.

AFAIK the 964 and 928 were built side by side with identical methods. You can see the time and attention to detail put into building the 928 which was far more laborious than the 964. It is easy to see when working on them. Here are some pictures mostly of 928 from 1977 AFAIK the 964 was still being built this way up until the 1993.

Not saying one is better or worse however it is just another transition point where Porsche began moving away from their old method of building the air-cooled cars vs how they make their cars today.
Attached Images           
Old 06-22-2015, 07:22 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

Really nailing the Ninety-Five Theses on the wall there, martin.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:16 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

sub'd
Old 08-25-2015, 01:35 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

my prediction:
by this time next year, the 964 will have surpassed the 993, in value. all things being equal.
the gap(in values) has already become insignificant.
the pricing trends are there, for all to see .....
Old 08-25-2015, 10:47 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by creaturecat
my prediction:
by this time next year, the 964 will have surpassed the 993, in value. all things being equal.
the gap(in values) has already become insignificant.
the pricing trends are there, for all to see .....
That may be true for the low mileage and "special" cars. But I think personally that there will be a market correction. 2 problems as I see it.
1) A lot of cars that sell get bought by flippers and end up on the market again for 5-10 grand more. Being a buyer there is no way I'm buying one of those just to put 10 grand in some slime ball dealers pocket.
2) After looking at 3 cars in person I can tell you that apparently almost everyone thinks their 964 is worth 40 thousand dollars no matter the condition. The cars I looked at were so beat to hell that just by looking at them I could see 10-20k in maintenance and refurb right off the bat and that's before they even got a PPI.
I think the nice ones will continue to climb obviously but the nice drivers will either come down or flatten out.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
That may be true for the low mileage and "special" cars. But I think personally that there will be a market correction. 2 problems as I see it.
1) A lot of cars that sell get bought by flippers and end up on the market again for 5-10 grand more. Being a buyer there is no way I'm buying one of those just to put 10 grand in some slime ball dealers pocket.
2) After looking at 3 cars in person I can tell you that apparently almost everyone thinks their 964 is worth 40 thousand dollars no matter the condition. The cars I looked at were so beat to hell that just by looking at them I could see 10-20k in maintenance and refurb right off the bat and that's before they even got a PPI.
I think the nice ones will continue to climb obviously but the nice drivers will either come down or flatten out.
Considering the base 964 is still near the bottom of the food chain I see a huge interest in cars that have been modified with all the right upgrades as seen here

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...che-964-a.html

I have seen a lot of people spending 6 figures on 73 RS clones built on SC's I think a year from now all things equal a nice 964 RS or RSA clone might bring decent money for thise that have GT3RS's but want that special Air cooled driver.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:44 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Considering the base 964 is still near the bottom of the food chain I see a huge interest in cars that have been modified with all the right upgrades as seen here

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...che-964-a.html

I have seen a lot of people spending 6 figures on 73 RS clones built on SC's I think a year from now all things equal a nice 964 RS or RSA clone might bring decent money for thise that have GT3RS's but want that special Air cooled driver.
+1

My eyes popped out of my head when I saw that car. $75,000 and it sold in days. (great thread comments too! Sorry Mooty)
It's an "All the right mods" kinda car, plus the potential aesthetic issues like a pitted windshield or ratty trim have also been dealt. Classy.
This car will serve as a guide for my car's future maintenance and upgrades. Seems to be money well spent.

I can only imagine how well it drives. 964s rule!

Old 08-26-2015, 11:02 AM
RobertPaulson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the UK for a RHD manual c2 coupe without doubt it has. no chance you will see a 964 c2 man coupe at the prices below with roughly equivalent history

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...ansmission=MAN

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...a-1994/4505968
Old 08-26-2015, 11:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
+1

My eyes popped out of my head when I saw that car. $75,000 and it sold in days. (great thread comments too! Sorry Mooty)
It's an "All the right mods" kinda car, plus the potential aesthetic issues like a pitted windshield or ratty trim have also been dealt. Classy.
This car will serve as a guide for my car's future maintenance and upgrades. Seems to be money well spent.

I can only imagine how well it drives. 964s rule!

I was a bit shocked myself. My 93 C2 is roughly the equivalent of this car with 13k more miles. I have done most of the same things + engine mods and HP increase. Some very high end paintwork were needed full RS suspension, new big brakes, windshield and replaced all the worn parts with new With a long list of upgrades that this car does not have plus all the original parts. Speakers, sportster CS seats and original seats I went back to the fogs vs the ducts and it has a factory RSA tail along with the original deck lid. Both 18" fikse and 7,8 & 9 inch CupI's currently have new R compound tires on 8&9's and new Michelin SS on the 18's. Only thing left this winter I will drop the motor and replace the sound pad and address anything out of place. was also considering the golden rod but it shifts fine as is.

I came close to letting it go last week but I am happy I changed my mind. I was planning on driving it a lot more although looking at these prices I figured it is worth at least mid to upper $60's but I will try not to let that influence my driving it. I have to admit it gets as much attention as my turbo did back 10 years ago when everyone looked down at the C2 but were intrigued by the turbo.

Although there are a number of 964's for sale It would appear for every one 964 there are close to 10 993's for sale and most 993's are in better condition.
Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2015, 11:37 AM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad you changed your mind. i want your sporster cs seats

Quick Reply: Has the day come when a 964 is worth more than a 993?