Sponsored by:

Electrical Issue - Low Voltage; Window motors not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 07:42 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Electrical Issue - Low Voltage; Window motors not working

I've dissembled my driver's door to get out all the parts involved in the power window operation.

First, it's really not as a hard as it's made out in the Pelican instructions for removal of the regulator.

Take out all the bolts that connect the regulator to the door, undo the motor (3 torx screws or bolts in some cases), and simply jiggled it out through the door. Took less than 3 minutes.

I cleaned out a LOT of amber-colored grease from basically all over the place plus hair and other grime from the motor's teeth and the regulator. That wasn't the issue though. But now I have a shiny regulator!

I tested the motor by connecting it directly to the battery. The teeth spun quite freely.

I then re-connected the motor to the leads, and here's my first question: why does the motor have that unusually shaped connector with half of it un protected/attached? As seen in the below picture (look to the right of the plastic connector):

With the key in the "on" position (blower motor was on), nothing moved when I activated the switch.

I unplugged the motor, and stuck my multimeter onto the two female connectors (the plastic peice pictured above) and activated the switch; this gave me voltage readings of +.1 and -.1 when I actived the switch up and down.

This seems really low to me and the motor, apparently.

My action plan is as follows:

1. Test input into the switch to see if that's the issue. I'm really not sure how to do this, given that there are 4 or 6 connection points, so help there would be useful!

2. Check all my other fuses to see if there might be another problem. I bought and swapped out my power window relay as well as all the other switches as I've heard that having one faulty switch might cause this problem.

3. As a final rub; when I bought the car, the passenger side window worked until I swapped out the driver's side passenger window switch (which did not work). I idiotically un-did the plastic contraption that held together the wires in place, so I may have swapped the locations of the wires for that, and subsequently, the passenger side window STOPPED working even using the passenger side switch).

Long winded, so for the tl;dr crowd:

Voltage is low (+.1, -.1) coming into my power window motor. Not sure why.

And a picture for fun of a car I snapped in Healdsburg when I was up there this weekend.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:32 AM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a 964, but this might help: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...w-swithes.html
Old 03-25-2015, 12:54 PM
dhc905
Banned

^^ That's super helpful.

There is no way the power window relay is behind the instrument cluster, right? I've identified and swapped out the one in the main fuse box in my frunk (#22, iirc).

Last edited by dhc905; 03-25-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:21 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not believe there is a second one behind the dash. The black and white photo above is pre 1989.5.

The circuit has to be complete with all three switches wired correctly in order to work. If you have the wires crossed somewhere, sometimes one side will work, sometimes nothing at all.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:47 AM
dhc905
Banned

Check your fuses friends!

I also found another fuse that wasn't working. This was fuse #4, power window, 30 amp.

It apparently blew so bad I had a hell of a time pulling it out. Now I have the fun task of putting everything back together like Humpty Dumpty

Also everything is working!

Quick Reply: Electrical Issue - Low Voltage; Window motors not working