964 purchase question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 06:06 PM
delhi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 purchase question

hello,
there's this guy who is selling his 89 964 C4. Its in good condition (no PPI yet). But the set back is that the car has no previous service history. He bought it without and swore that the car will pass PPI. Do you think that no service history for a 964 is a show stopper?
I don't want to waste money for PPI on the car if the service history is a big deal when comes to porsche purchases. Thoughts?

thanks.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:28 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi

For me, the PPI is the most important factor as it tells you what the car is like NOW. A service history tells you that the car USED TO BE well looked after...

Ultimately, it is down to the individual car, but for me, a sparce service history wouldn't necessarily be a show stopper.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:44 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are PLENTY of 964's out there, and it's a buyer's market. I wouldn't buy a Porsche without service records, so be patient and wait for the right car.

A PPI will tell you a lot, but there are plenty of things that can pop up and cost major $$$. For example, clutch and flywheel change: $3K, and a PPI probably can't identify when this will need to be done or if it's ever been done. You could easily drop another $5K on the car within a few months.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:26 PM
delhi
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the replies.
yeah the 964 was actually priced quite low. Much lower than the regular market price. Too good to be true? i'm not in hurry however.
Old 08-31-2003, 11:36 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The car does have a service history (assuming it was serviced); you just don't have immediate access to it. If I were interested in the car, I would track down the service history. Service shops keep these records, but you'd have to get the records from the PO or find out where it was serviced. Talk to the current owner and find out who the PO was. I found a PO's name, address, and phone number in the owner's manual in the glove compartment when I test drove the car at a dealer. I phoned her, she mailed me the complete service record (dealer serviced every 5k miles), and I bought the car (and kept it for 13 years). I also asked her why she sold her new car after only one year, and she said that her new husband bought her a new BMW 740.

Quick Reply: 964 purchase question