Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Porsche classic releases new classic car radio w/nav (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/860132-porsche-classic-releases-new-classic-car-radio-w-nav.html)

hockenheimr 02-24-2015 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Paul284pt (Post 12065559)
Hi All,

I have one of the original units which I don't believe were available in the U.S. but I can confirm the sound quality is great and as good as you're ever going to need in a high performance sports car.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x...pscfc27499.jpg

I may be wrong but never really saw the need for paying for a top-end sound system where there's lots of background noise from an engine, fan, tyres, exhaust etc. But, I don't mind paying for something which will do everything well....and it does.

I'm also pleased to see they have addressed the problems of the piddly little control buttons. I notice that the advert shows an iPod/Phone connector but I've always found the bluetooth option on mine to be more than adequate for playing music and phone connectivity.

My only other reservation is that the screen is not very big and and in a RHD car quite difficult to see during daylight (reflections), althought this should be much better for a LHD car. The verbal sat-nav instructions however are brilliant and on-point.

Cheers,
Paul

Hey Paul,

I've seen those Chronos before, where did you get that?

RB

Paul284pt 02-24-2015 12:29 PM

Hey Paul,

I've seen those Chronos before, where did you get that?

RB
Hi RB,

Here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heuer-Dash...item3aa36659c2

Cheers,
Paul

Rocket Rob 02-24-2015 12:36 PM

I would love a radio like this in my 964's but the price quoted in the article is scary.

-nick 02-24-2015 12:57 PM

I'm not so sure about this one. It doesn't appear to have any better sound shaping than the CDR-220, which is just treble/bass. The screen size and placement can't be great for navigation. The only thing that is really going for it is bluetooth, but that's an easy add-on to a stock radio. Luckily, it's at least absurdly expensive. ;)

hepkat63 02-24-2015 04:35 PM

What a bloody stupid, over priced, ugly piece of crap. Seriously - why would you bother? I am sure all owners of 964's also own a smartphone which has all these capabilities any how. Just sayin'....

Paul284pt 02-25-2015 08:34 AM

What a bloody stupid, over priced, ugly piece of crap. Seriously - why would you bother? I am sure all owners of 964's also own a smartphone which has all these capabilities any how. Just sayin'...

WTF - Answers on a postcard please :roflmao:

BLACK-BETTY 02-25-2015 09:18 AM

Love this new version. But with sooo many other products that will undoubtably have better software, features and cheaper from giants like TomTom & Garmin etc I'm not buying. Especially considering it doesn't even feature digital radio... I'd expect it at that price to be 'future' proof.

It's definitely form over function. Although I'm very happy to see Porsche even producing this kind of 'niche' product. 2nd gen now, so there's clearly a market...

Metal Guru 02-26-2015 01:41 PM

The nav screen is so small that who will be able to see it while driving?
I agree with the others who say a 911 is too noisy for a large investment in a stereo. The only time I listen to my CDR-220 is with the engine off.

Ad0911 12-29-2015 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Paul284pt (Post 12065559)
Hi All,

I have one of the original units which I don't believe were available in the U.S. but I can confirm the sound quality is great and as good as you're ever going to need in a high performance sports

I may be wrong but never really saw the need for paying for a top-end sound system where there's lots of background noise from an engine, fan, tyres, exhaust etc. But, I don't mind paying for something which will do everything well....and it does.

I'm also pleased to see they have addressed the problems of the piddly little control buttons. I notice that the advert shows an iPod/Phone connector but I've always found the bluetooth option on mine to be more than adequate for playing music and phone connectivity.

My only other reservation is that the screen is not very big and and in a RHD car quite difficult to see during daylight (reflections), althought this should be much better for a LHD car. The verbal sat-nav instructions however are brilliant and on-point.

Cheers,
Paul

Sorry to break in on this thread but I was wondering if this unit shows the album covers or just the text? In our 928's the radio is placed lower in the dash so I don't want te read...

greaser5 12-29-2015 01:43 PM

I just wish the damned thing was available in the US...

02m2 12-29-2015 02:08 PM

I have had one ordered for 6 months already. Not available in the USA yet...something to do with the mapping.

creaturecat 12-29-2015 02:22 PM

nice that Porsche is still paying attention to the older models.

NoSub Dan 12-30-2015 09:10 AM

I'll believe it when I see it. They've been promising this thing in the US for years. Still not available.

Railmaster. 12-30-2015 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ad0911 (Post 12881992)
Sorry to break in on this thread but I was wondering if this unit shows the album covers or just the text? In our 928's the radio is placed lower in the dash so I don't want te read...

As far as I know it does not show the album covers, not in my car anyway! :)

JCBH 01-09-2016 03:16 PM

If you go to "info" while playing a music source such as iPod, it shows album cover art.