Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal in pan, time to rebuild? (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 11:19 PM
trendo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Metal in pan, time to rebuild? (with pics)

Hello everyone. I know I am new here, but I would greatly appreciate some advice. I found a "significant" amount of what I assume is bearing material in my oil. Some of it was found in the drain pan when I changed the oil for the first time (I haven't had the car long), but the majority of it was found in the filter.

I have the personal feeling that Porsche owners crack open their cases far more often than they need to. That being said, there is quite a bit of material in the filter and pan, and I am trying to avoid catastrophic failure which will be very expensive.

Some info on both myself and the car:

I have a "moderate" amount of experience rebuilding engines. I am ASE certified (expired about 15 years ago) in a bunch of things, including engine repair. That being said, its also been about 10 years since I rebuilt and engine. I have zero experience with Porsche engines.

The car has an unknown history. Approximately 60K miles, and no significant leaks. The previous owner said it had a reseal, but there is no documentation. Even after finding the material, It runs and drives fine. No real smoking, no knocking. There is a whining sound, but it sounds like it is coming from the flywheel area. Oil pressure at idle is high, around 3/4 of the way up the gauge, with brief moments of bouncing. Not really sure what thats all about.

The car is from Oahu, and I was told that it was owned by a Porsche mechanic. If anyone knows the car, I would love to hear from you.

The Material: Grey flakes, non magnetic.

Reasons I am hesitant to pull the motor:
It runs and drives great, with no leaks.
Im lazy.
Im cheap.

Reasons I want to pull it:
To avoid serious damage which would be more work (Im lazy), and more expensive (I'm cheap).

Let me know what you guys think. I would hate to pull a working engine, but with the cost of these motors, I don't want to need a new crank.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:07 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

If it runs and drives great and oil usage is within the normal range, I'd say just drive it. But that looks to be quite a bit of material in the filter. I'm not sure that is normal, hopefully someone will chime in with more info for you.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:53 AM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sub'd. I am no expert, but that doesn't look good. I'd like to hear some experienced folks chime in here. I have had much higher mileage cars and not see this kind of particulate buildup in the filter. What oil are you using and does the car sit log periods between starting?

edit (I see you just did your first oil change on it. Hopefully you got the good stuff, any new is better than what was in there anyway at this point.) I'd only run about 3k miles and then do another oil service. Send a sample of what you have off to Blackstone.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:09 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

How did the crankcase oil drain plug look? Lots of metal shavings on the magnetic part...
Old 02-03-2015, 11:27 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
How did the crankcase oil drain plug look? Lots of metal shavings on the magnetic part...
He states "non magnetic", I would then lean to Aluminum or Magnesium.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

If I saw that, I would be disassembling the engine for a complete and very thorough inspection.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:28 PM
trendo
Advanced

Thanks for the replies, looks like I will be pulling it. It will probably sit for a couple more months before I get to it, but I will be sure to post some pics of what I find.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:11 AM
earossi
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You could send an oil sample off for analysis; and that would confirm what it is that you are seeing. If the particles are not magnetic then one should suspect that you are seeing bearing material. The 3.6 engine should easily make 200k miles on bearings; so, you are having an abnormal failure that should require a total rebuild including splitting the case to inspect the IMS bearings as well as the crank bearings.

Porsche engines have some weaknesses, but not usually bearings.

I suggest that you plan on a total rebuild as soon as possible.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:36 AM
trendo
Advanced

Originally Posted by earossi
You could send an oil sample off for analysis; and that would confirm what it is that you are seeing. If the particles are not magnetic then one should suspect that you are seeing bearing material. The 3.6 engine should easily make 200k miles on bearings; so, you are having an abnormal failure that should require a total rebuild including splitting the case to inspect the IMS bearings as well as the crank bearings.

Porsche engines have some weaknesses, but not usually bearings.

I suggest that you plan on a total rebuild as soon as possible.

Yeah, I understand that Porsche bearings don't self destruct too often. When I open it up the biggest question won't be what failed, but WHY it failed.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:27 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Kinda hard to tell from the pics, but granular aluminum could be timing gear material...
Old 02-04-2015, 06:51 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like it is made of fibers from the pics. Could it be an oil filter failure?
Old 02-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Cosmos99
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Possibly the coating from the magnesium valve covers? When I had mine of at 70k to do a valve adjustment it was starting to flake off. I ended up buying the aluminum ones from Hargett.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:04 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It doesn't look great, and given the amount you've found, regardless of the origins I doubt it'll last long at that wear rate.

Quick Reply: Metal in pan, time to rebuild? (with pics)