Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super charger on hold

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 08:07 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Harold, but if you did go the MAF route with GForce, just don't pay them if the dyno does not back up their claims. How easy is that?
Old 09-01-2003, 08:10 AM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was at G-Force (a week before Dave) they suggested they'd done this conversion to a number of 964, and had graphs to back it up.

Be interested to hear from owners of these cars.

Anyone?
Old 09-01-2003, 12:23 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I've decided I'm not doing anything to my car except driving it off a flippin' cliff.

Just got back from a 250 mile round trip which it was handling fine - until about 2 miles from home when the ABS and diff lights came on with the gong. Not had that before (except when the alternator belt snapped and didn't get a gong then), so pulled over to the side of the road and checked that - all was fine. Got back in the car, switched it off and on to see if the lights went out (they did) but car was idling at about 2K rpm and was hunting between 1800 and 2200rpm. Got home, and by then it was idling OK. Switched it off and re-started it and it was idling about 2Krpm again. Switched it off - and now it won't start again.

Anyone want to buy a 964 for 20p? Poxy pile of rubbish!
Old 09-01-2003, 12:26 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Bugger - at least it had the good manners to get you home. They don't make 'em like that any more you know!
Old 09-01-2003, 12:26 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, and YES, I'll buy it for 20p. When can I collect?
Old 09-01-2003, 12:28 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bugger, what a pain. Don't get to pissed off, though, it could be something simple. I'm sure someone here can suggest something

Oh, I'd buy the car for 20p, but not keen on the colour...
Old 09-01-2003, 12:43 PM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, Phils right, white always trades at a discount.....how about 18p - I'll collect?

Brgds
Piers
PS sorry about the hassle you're having.
Old 09-01-2003, 12:43 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

20p!! What a ripoff! Dove could get one for 15p in Norfolk!!

Dave

sorry to hear of all these probs. How much diagnostic,strripping checking cleaning have you or GT-One done? What has been checked?
Old 09-01-2003, 01:07 PM
DaveK
Race Car

GT-One haven't done much other than check it with the hammer and service it last week.

I've tried replacing the DME relay - made no difference. Tried the air flow sensor GT-One lent me but still had the same problem. Tried the DME that they lent me - and it did start immediately (this was at the weekend) so I thought it was that. But then it happened today. Haven't tried much else - GT-One suggested checking the connection for the flywheel position sensor (which is less than 2 years old) behind the heater blower. I tried, but I can't really reach them without taking out the heater blower - but when I did wiggle the 3 connectors behind the heater blower, the car did start this time (but only with foot to the floor). Now it's idling fine.

I'm going to dump it on GT-One tomorrow and tell them I don't want it back until it's fixed!

And to the jokers - white is a perfect colour - when it breaks down on dual carriageways, you need to be visible!
Old 09-01-2003, 01:09 PM
Phil Raby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by DaveK
GT-One haven't done much other than check it with the hammer and service it last week.

I've tried replacing the DME relay - made no difference. Tried the air flow sensor GT-One lent me but still had the same problem. Tried the DME that they lent me - and it did start immediately (this was at the weekend) so I thought it was that. But then it happened today. Haven't tried much else - GT-One suggested checking the connection for the flywheel position sensor (which is less than 2 years old) behind the heater blower. I tried, but I can't really reach them without taking out the heater blower - but when I did wiggle the 3 connectors behind the heater blower, the car did start this time (but only with foot to the floor). Now it's idling fine.

I'm going to dump it on GT-One tomorrow and tell them I don't want it back until it's fixed!

And to the jokers - white is a perfect colour - when it breaks down on dual carriageways, you need to be visible!
You could put some blue flashing lights on it.

Maybe it's time to take the car somewhere else for servicing?

Cheers
Old 09-01-2003, 01:13 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I don't want to give the impression it's GT-One's fault they didn't find it in the service. When it was serviced, it was much less of a problem - I'd had idle hunting a few times, and stalled a few times over a period of a month but it hadn't died. I asked them to check with the hammer, but to basically just service the car and see what happened. It wasn't happening enough to waste money on them looking for the problem until it got worse. Unfortunately, it got much worse almost immediately after the service.

Just bad luck with the timing, but not a reflection on GT-One.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:43 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably not a reflection on GT-One - its just that a few things get disturbed at service time, as a few things need to be removed for access. I expect it is very easy for a plug not to be pushed home correctlym, and before you know it its running like a pig (check Roly & Johnny G's threads).

I would be tempted to pull down, check & reassemble all the basic bits in the engine bay, you know all the hidden stuff lurking behind the rear blower.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:36 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Have you thought about Motec ? at least it means you don`t have to put up with the prehistoric DME and its attendant part time sensors.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:29 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I looked at Motec about 4 months ago, and went up to 9M to talk about it. There's a thread about it in the archives.

To be honest, this thing with the super charger has convinced me that nothing comes for free - you can't just gain over 50bhp and not lose something else into the bargain.

With the car playing up at the moment, I'm getting disillusioned with the whole thing, and would be happy with a 250bhp car which behaves itself.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:09 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Amen to that, Dave.

There's a lot to be said for keeping it (relatively) simple.

Quick Reply: Super charger on hold