Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super charger on hold

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 10:02 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave - that's really bad news - I think we were all excited about the supercharger. Phil has a point though...
Old 08-29-2003, 10:11 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the G String hot film conversion? Sounds like something you'd see on a Dutch Hotel's pay-per-view menu?
Old 08-29-2003, 10:36 AM
Roygarth
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave

Seems a shame - I have no heating in my 2CV daily driver!

Camping shops sell those little blue velvet thingys the size of a *** packet, you insert a lit fuel rod which keeps yer hands warm!

Just a thought (bored Friday afternoon variety!)

Brgds
Piers
Old 08-29-2003, 10:40 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phil,
300bhp would be enough... maybe.... but I've heard such mixed things about Hot Film, that it's one of those things I've always felt I would steer clear of.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:54 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Dave; Hot film should be OK - normally these conversions are to a more effective MAF type airflow sensor instead of restrictive flaps. I looked into this for my E30 M3, and the main issue was that there would be no cold start facility. (I was told that my right foot was the cold start control).

May be different for the 964 though...definitely worth a look..
Old 08-29-2003, 10:56 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

...only £985 too! http://www.g-force-motorsport.co.uk/...4_hot_film.htm
Old 08-29-2003, 11:02 AM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave

I don't think you completely lose heating, just the benefit of the rear blower in hte engine bay. Why don't you disconnect the wire to the rear blower and have a drive around and test the heating/demister without the rear blower - that way you won't be guessing what hte effect will be.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:15 AM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

What price is the 3.8litre 331bhp conversion kit?

Have we discussed hot film conversions before? Is the 50bhp increase real? If so uk985 seems very reasonable
Old 08-29-2003, 12:16 PM
DaveK
Race Car

John,
I did - and I also remember what happened when my blower motor died. The thing is, you do have heating - but for things like demisting, air con on hot summer days etc. you do need the fan. One of the reasons I've never wanted an RS is because the car is my daily transport and I want air con, electric windows, demister etc.

Hot film / MAF has been discussed many times before. Whether the 50bhp is real is hard to agree - some people say definitely yes, some say definitely no!
Old 08-30-2003, 11:36 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Dave - how about a 3.8 conversion? Doesn't look to be wildly more expensive than your supercharger and, at least to my mind, has less issues. There are a couple of threads in the archives (I searched using Roock 3.8 as the search terms) that are of interest.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:27 AM
DaveK
Race Car

It's something I've not thought of before. I'll think about it, but it's the sort of thing that makes sense if I need a top end rebuild anyway - and sadly, I don't because the car only had one 25K miles ago.

At the moment, I'm concentrating on the fact that the car keeps stopping. Did it again yesterday - although somewhere less dangerous this time. It proves it's not the air flow sensor because I'd already swapped that with the one GT-One gave me. But it looks like it may be the DME because as soon as I swapped that yesterday, the car started and ran fine. Will try it for a few weeks and if it behaves, I'll be looking for a DME.
Old 08-31-2003, 05:35 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Dave,

When the car cuts out, if you try to start it straight away and the engine seems to fire and 'run' while the starters running, but stalls immediately you stop the starter - that's a sign of DME relay failure.
Old 08-31-2003, 06:06 AM
DaveK
Race Car

No, it's not that - I tried swapping the relay the first time it happened. Also, it doesn't fire - it dies, and will turn over but makes no attempt to fire.

When I swapped to the other DME yesterday (which only took 30s) it fired immediately so it does look like it's that. But I plan to run with the new DME for a week to see for sure. Unfortunately, after that, I guess GT-One might want it back!
Old 09-01-2003, 05:05 AM
Christer
Race Car

On the subject of 3.8's I would offer my view. It is probably only worth doing if you are having serious engine work done. If you get the 3.8 Cup barrels (Porsche Motorsport) and cams, the parts alone in the UK will set you back around £3500+VAT (£2750 or so just for the p&c's). When you add say 30 hours of labour plus the fact that you might as well have new big end bearings as well if they haven't already been replaced. Of course when the conversion is done, you still need to get the car chipped in order to take advantage of the enhancements you have made, plus possibly consider bigger injectors? JZM achieve around 310fwhp and a healthy 300lb or so of torque - but it does set you back a bit. I would estimate that if your rebuild was done properly and therefore you do not need a lot of the parts usually required when one opens up the engine, the cost of the 3.8 conversion would be around £8000. More like £10k if you also need the engine rebuild parts as well.

Why don't you get Colin B to try to make it work with the rear blower in place? I am sure you can discuss this with him as it is probably in his interest to succeed in this as well, as he would presumably sell more kits? Keep your chin up and at least enjoy the car for now!
Old 09-01-2003, 07:15 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

Fiddling with MAF has been discussed at length in the past. To summarise my personal experience on my ex-car, a 1990 964 C4 (running 993 hotwire running with Unichip), there was absolutely no difference in seat of the pants experience (which is what I imagine most of us are after).

Throwing in a varioram flattened torque curve, made the car feel more dead, but added more meat lower down. Marginal gains and not worth what I paid for the whole set up. Car went back to stock.

Only bang for the buck will be a supercharger or turbo charger, no question. 3.8 conversion will be a lot of money for limited gain.

I really am sceptical about all mods unless we talk about forced induction, sorry bout that.

Quick Reply: Super charger on hold