Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering rack banjo bolts !@#$!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 07:36 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Steering rack banjo bolts !@#$!?!

So my long weekend project has been to replace my leaking steering rack and control arm bushings. I am at the point of putting everything back in the car and I am having one hell of a time trying to insert the banjo bolts into the steering rack.

I simply can't get the bolt threaded with my fingers. I am at a loss how to do it. I've disconnected the bridge that holds the feed and return tubes near the rack so I can play with each line separately.

I've got the rack bolted snug to the chassis untorqued. Should loosen the rack bolts and drop the rack a little bit? Is there a tool I can use?

I've done quite a few DIY projects on my car and this might take the cake for most frustrating.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2015, 11:57 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not having worked on my steering rack I can't help much, but did you happen to try the banjo bolt without the fitting to ensure there isn't anything preventing it starting to thread in?
Old 01-05-2015, 11:18 AM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Hi Faster,

The bolts fit, it's all about access (or lack thereof). Those banjo bolts are high up on the rack and it is extremely tight up there. I think I may have to lower the rack back down to be able to get them in. Not looking forward to it.....
Old 01-05-2015, 12:22 PM
hans57
Instructor

mike9186,

I just did my rack a couple of months ago and can attest to the bolts being tough. But not impossible. I think I got it started with my forefinger and middle finger of my right hand then was able to use thumb and forefinger to get it the rest of the way. Once started it goes pretty smooth up until the point of gently applying the wrench to tighten up, only enough to crush the new washers.

You'll get it!

Regards,
Old 01-05-2015, 12:34 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Oddly enough, if you take off the front left wheel and sit in front of the hub, you can reach straight in and get to those bolts. The access from the side is much better than from below. Unless the lines are bent, the banjo bolts should thread is easily. Hope that helps!
Old 01-05-2015, 12:53 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Thank you Nick and Hans for the input!

Nick - The front wheels are off so I will attempt to go in from the side.

Hans - You are 100% right about being able to hand tighten the bolt. I can insert and fully twist them right into my old rack which is sitting on the garage floor. It is the inclusion of the stiff PS lines and the access that makes this job such a chore.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:35 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Banjo Bolts

Make sure you have new banjo bolts. Not supposed to re-use them.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:55 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Are you sure about that Newsboy? I am using new mounting bolts for the rack but the banjo bolts are very lightly screwed into the holes in the rack and there is zero chance of them becoming stretched or distorted. I also looked at the Porsche 964 service manual and it does not state anywhere that the banjos need to be replaced upon removal.

I am using new copper washers on both sides of the banjo bolts.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:40 PM
hans57
Instructor

Originally Posted by mike9186
Are you sure about that Newsboy? I am using new mounting bolts for the rack but the banjo bolts are very lightly screwed into the holes in the rack and there is zero chance of them becoming stretched or distorted. I also looked at the Porsche 964 service manual and it does not state anywhere that the banjos need to be replaced upon removal.

I am using new copper washers on both sides of the banjo bolts.
+1. Mounting bolts are stretch bolts I believe, and they are to be replaced. I do not think you need to replace the banjo bolts, just the crush washers.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:33 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Steering Rack

Sorry. I meant the 4 mounting bolts, not banjo.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:18 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

I got the damn banjos in this morning with the help of my most talented friend. We had to drop the rack down and one of us would hold the bolt while the other would get a wrench on it.

Note to self: tighten up the banjos before fully reinstalling the steering rack!!

I torqued everything up and filled the reservoir with PS fluid (I am using Pentosin since this is a 993 rack and it had green Pentosin in it when I got it) and fired up the car.....Within seconds fluid started shooting out of the rack at the high pressure banjo. A quick 1/8th of a turn on the banjo and I am now leak free! I left the car on for about 5 minutes and did several full wheel locks and still no leaks.

The end is in sight. Just need to install the bellows (already mounted them on the small end of the tie rod) and the tie rods and hopefully I am good to go.

Now the next question is where should I send my original steering rack for rebuilding?

Quick Reply: Steering rack banjo bolts !@#$!?!