Sponsored by:

964 C4 Widebody: Intro and few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 07:07 AM
Rainmaker
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 C4 Widebody: Intro and few questions

Been lurking for years but I finally got a proper Porsche. Had my Cayenne Turbo for a few years now but only last month purchased a 964. Then purchased a pristine 944 Turbo shortly thereafter.

First some pics of the 964:

The 964 is a Carrera 4 with a Widebody conversion done by the previous owner. Front fenders were replaced with turbo fenders and rear fenders had fender flares butt welded. The car retains the narrow body suspension.

Included in the heap of receipts is this one from Dougherty Cams.

- 993 SS profile on 49mm billets - needs power steering drive
- Adjustable rocker arms for 993 conversion
- Racing valve spring kit with chromemoly retainers

I understand it has s/s pipes with no cats. It sounds like there's a Harley on my behind. It came with 6 chips from FVD, one of which is installed. The car has H&R coil overs but it also came with an extra set of Bilstein HDs.

The car currently has Momo Prototipos on but I'm replacing it with one of these:

So far, I've ordered a set of Fikse ZF wheels, the Fuchs reps, in 17 x 8.5 et49 Front and 17 x 11 et17 Rear, J Lip and satin classic finish.

I'm considering having Paul Champagne do my seats and door panels. Should look something like this:

The car is in the shop now (after only 3 days being with me) with the engine out as there was a slight knocking sound that was pointing to oil starvation. The only driving I got to do was take it home 16km in traffic. Shop said they had to fill it with 4 liters.

Parts list as follows:

- piston ring (1 set) (std)
- conn rod bearing (1 set) (.25)
- main bearing (1 set) (.25)
- cam shaft bearing (1 set) (std)
- conn rod bushing (1 set)
- roller chain rail guide (4 pcs)
- engine overhauling kit (1 set- top and bottom)
- cylinder head bolt (24 pcs)
- engine support (2 pcs)
- steering belt (1 pc)
- aircon belt (1 pc)
- alternator belt (1 pc)
- blower belt (1 pc)
- oil filter (1 pc)
- air filter (1 pc)
- fuel filter (1 pc)
- spark plugs (12 pcs)

Question is, is there anything I should be doing "while I'm in there?"

I have no current plans of going 3.8L as it costs too much to maximize its potential. And if I were to do that down the road, I'd rather have Colin of 9meister or Steve Weiner of Rennsport build me a complete motor and stuff that thing in whole.

Maybe a LFW if it doesn't have it yet (I'm having it checked) and a Steve Wong chip perhaps? Anything else? Would upgrading engine internals make sense?

Thanks for looking.

Last edited by Rainmaker; 01-04-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:33 AM
jevvy964
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Widebody with no tail just looks superb, you must be chuffed!

Originally Posted by Rainmaker
Shop said they had to fill it with 4 liters.
If it was 4l to the top of the dipstick im not sure thats low enough to cause any starvation. If it was 4l to get oil to register on the dipstick then....maybe? What was the outside temperature on the 16km drive and when the garage added 4l of fuel? I'm sure you would have got a warning light/sound if the pressure was low enough (ie oil pump sucking air) to cause any damage.

Are you sure the knock/tap is worth tearing into the engine, could it not just be a dull tappet tick that needs an adjustment or was it deffo a knock?

Good luck getting it sorted but it would be nice if you got some miles on it before you invest in any engine work as you might want/need a different spec once you got to know the car a bit.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:35 AM
davidwilson11
Racer

Originally Posted by Rainmaker
Been lurking for years but I finally got a proper Porsche. Had my Cayenne Turbo for a few years now but only last month purchased a 964. Then purchased a pristine 944 Turbo shortly thereafter.

First some pics of the 964:

The 964 is a Carrera 4 with a Widebody conversion done by the previous owner. Front fenders were replaced with turbo fenders and rear fenders had fender flares butt welded. The car retains the narrow body suspension.

Included in the heap of receipts is this one from Dougherty Cams.

- 993 SS profile on 49mm billets - needs power steering drive
- Adjustable rocker arms for 993 conversion
- Racing valve spring kit with chromemoly retainers

I understand it has s/s pipes with no cats. It sounds like there's a Harley on my behind. It came with 6 chips from FVD, one of which is installed. The car has H&R coil overs but it also came with an extra set of Bilstein HDs.

The car currently has Momo Prototipos on but I'm replacing it with one of these:

So far, I've ordered a set of Fikse ZF wheels, the Fuchs reps, in 17 x 8.5 et49 Front and 17 x 11 et17 Rear, J Lip and satin classic finish.

I'm considering having Paul Champagne do my seats and door panels. Should look something like this:

The car is in the shop now (after only 3 days being with me) with the engine out as there was a slight knocking sound that was pointing to oil starvation. The only driving I got to do was take it home 16km in traffic. Shop said they had to fill it with 4 liters.

Parts list as follows:

- piston ring (1 set) (std)
- conn rod bearing (1 set) (.25)
- main bearing (1 set) (.25)
- cam shaft bearing (1 set) (std)
- conn rod bushing (1 set)
- roller chain rail guide (4 pcs)
- engine overhauling kit (1 set- top and bottom)
- cylinder head bolt (24 pcs)
- engine support (2 pcs)
- steering belt (1 pc)
- aircon belt (1 pc)
- alternator belt (1 pc)
- blower belt (1 pc)
- oil filter (1 pc)
- air filter (1 pc)
- fuel filter (1 pc)
- spark plugs (12 pcs)

Question is, is there anything I should be doing "while I'm in there?"

I have no current plans of going 3.8L as it costs too much to maximize its potential. And if I were to do that down the road, I'd rather have Colin of 9meister or Steve Weiner of Rennsport build me a complete motor and stuff that thing in whole.

Maybe a LFW if it doesn't have it yet (I'm having it checked) and a Steve Wong chip perhaps? Anything else? Would upgrading engine internals make sense?

Thanks for looking.

Stunning car
Old 01-04-2015, 07:48 AM
Rainmaker
Advanced

The previous owner prior to me (there were two others) was just adding oil at regular intervals. The oil gauge was apparently inop.

Here are pics of the damage:

Old 01-04-2015, 08:06 AM
Rainmaker
Advanced

Default Bonus pics

500E, built at the Porsche factory. Have had this for 14 years.

86 944 Turbo:

Old 01-04-2015, 08:35 AM
Paul284pt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello & welcome,

That's a fantastic looking 964, I've always had a soft spot for Arrow Blue and the flares look great.

Good luck with your engine.

Cheers,
Paul
Old 01-04-2015, 05:53 PM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blue 964's are the best! The widebody conversion looks stunning. Hope you can get her back on the road soon.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:16 AM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fantastic color! I am not a fan of those wheels, but hey whatever.

Sorry to hear about the engine needing work after such a short period of ownership. I am guessing you did not have a shop inspect the car prior to purchasing?

To answer your question about "while you are in there" replace these items:
-Oil pressure sender gasket
-Gaskets at the bottom of the intake stacks
-Chain cover and tensioner gaskets
Just because they are a lot easier to replace with it all disassembled.

Also consider sending the injectors out for refurbishment at this time, an maybe doing the oil return tubes, RMS for sure, and also service the power steering fluid, it is often neglected.

I am not an expert on the internal components of the M64, but it looks like you have most of the main things covered in your list.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Rainmaker
Advanced

Thanks, Justin. Did you mean the current wheels? Me neither. They're getting replaced. I'll take note of the list and have those done as well. I was thinking maybe raceware studs as well?

Anything else I'm missing?
Old 01-06-2015, 11:14 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Welcome to the 964 forum.

silverboy used to own that 964. Search his user name to learn more about the upgrades he did during his ownership. Fenders, engine electronics, exhaust, etc.

I love your choice of future upgrads, Fuchs, seats, steering wheel, etc.... sorry that doesn't mean very much given the engine trouble you are going through right now!

On a happier note, some pics silverboy posted earlier:

Old 01-06-2015, 11:41 AM
Rainmaker
Advanced

Yeah, thanks, I know Peter. I actually used to work with him. The previous owner beat me to it and eventually ended up working with me in the same firm...which is how I got dibs on the car. :-). I'm still giving him grief for the oil starvation. He's never going to hear the end of it from me! Haha!

Quick Reply: 964 C4 Widebody: Intro and few questions