Sponsored by:

Noise after power steering belt change

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 07:12 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Noise after power steering belt change

While I was having my clutch replaced, I took some preventative measures and had my power steering belt changed. Now whenever I get my RPMs around 1800, I get a squealing noise from the right side of the engine where the power steering pump resides. Anyone else encounter this? I'm hoping that it's either air in the system or that the belt needs some time to settle. Any idea how to address this?
Old 12-14-2014, 07:24 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has been problems with new PS belts making noise but I would call it more of a hum than a squeal, did you have your power steering fluid changed at the same time because you do not have to drain fluid to change the belt, the only way to tell for sure is put the old belt back in
Old 12-14-2014, 11:19 PM
YaHoo!
Racer

Interesting, I have the same exact issue at the same rpm! PS belt was just replaced. I have ordered a new hose from the reservoir to the pump (I read somewhere they can seperate internally, get sucked in and cause the pump to cavitate) and plan to replace the fluid and the hose to see if gets rid of the squeak. I'll get to that this weekend. If it is a bad belt I'll be
Old 12-15-2014, 12:40 AM
Achtung964
Racer

Ok. Seems like the issue is more common than I thought. Please let us know if it fixes it. I've read that turning the steering wheel to full lock in both directions for a couple of weeks has worked for some. I'm a week in so we'll see if that helps.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:42 AM
Achtung964
Racer

Originally Posted by YaHoo!
Interesting, I have the same exact issue at the same rpm! PS belt was just replaced. I have ordered a new hose from the reservoir to the pump (I read somewhere they can seperate internally, get sucked in and cause the pump to cavitate) and plan to replace the fluid and the hose to see if gets rid of the squeak. I'll get to that this weekend. If it is a bad belt I'll be
Originally Posted by Crystal Cranks
There has been problems with new PS belts making noise but I would call it more of a hum than a squeal, did you have your power steering fluid changed at the same time because you do not have to drain fluid to change the belt, the only way to tell for sure is put the old belt back in
Not sure if my mechanic changed the fluid but I know he checked the level and said that it was fine.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:55 AM
itsujack
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I had this exact problem just last week after the belt was replaced. A new whirring/squeaking noise occurred between 1500-2000rpm. Turned out it was the new belt. My local indie said there had been some issues with some newer OEM belts. They replaced it with another and now the noise is gone
Old 12-15-2014, 12:45 PM
Achtung964
Racer

Any difference between the two belts used (model #, date purchased, etc.)? Just want to give clear instructions to my indie.

Trending Topics

Old 12-15-2014, 10:28 PM
YaHoo!
Racer

Originally Posted by Achtung964
Ok. Seems like the issue is more common than I thought. Please let us know if it fixes it. I've read that turning the steering wheel to full lock in both directions for a couple of weeks has worked for some. I'm a week in so we'll see if that helps.
I've definitely gone lock to lock many times and have been driving it regularly for over a month to no avail.
Mine was an OEM replaced by a competent mechanic 300+ miles away. While I could do it I'd prefer it to be warrantied by the manufacturer and take it to a local shop. Anyone have any experience with a similar situation?
Old 12-27-2014, 06:19 PM
itsujack
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Any difference between the two belts used (model #, date purchased, etc.)? Just want to give clear instructions to my indie.
No difference in the source of the belts, only that the quality of the OEM replacements appear to be a bit hit and miss. They did say that over time the first belt probably would have settled down (stretched?) and the noise would go, but neither of us were happy with that so they swapped if for another gratis.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:03 AM
YaHoo!
Racer

I replaced my ps fluid with no change in squeak.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:45 AM
YaHoo!
Racer

I replaced my ps belt and the noise went away. The belt causing the issue was purchased in Nov 2014 and it's picture is below:
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  147.5 KB
Old 06-08-2016, 01:27 PM
ras62
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My C2 also had this noise, it would happen when the engine was hot and only between 14-1600 rpm. It sounded a little like a dry old clutch thrust bearing. Anyway today the belt was changed and the noise has gone. Result as it's been bugging me for ages
Old 06-09-2016, 04:18 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Not sure if my mechanic changed the fluid but I know he checked the level and said that it was fine.
Means nothing. Go and check the fluid on a level ground.
Mine was squealing when turning left downhill, level was too low.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:59 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,673 Posts

No noise after replacing PS belt while engine out for reseal.

But - belt seemed too tight on installation and smoked a little when first started up. Quickly settled down though.

~1000 miles ago. No issues.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennlistuser8
Means nothing. Go and check the fluid on a level ground.
Mine was squealing when turning left downhill, level was too low.
+1

Quick Reply: Noise after power steering belt change