Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

latest on Aluminium Valve Covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 01:35 PM
r-mm
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 246 Posts

I too wrestled with the awful paint and peeling metal on the mag covers. Have zero desire for bling or pricey parts. Posted Want ad to a few forums saying im in the market for anything alum: porsche, aftermarket etc. got some nice hartgett lowers for bunch less than new. Tapped them for the plug clips. Note you need different fasteners as the porsche ones are very oddbal Coarse thread for the mag.
Old 05-17-2020, 04:07 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
Just to be clear...

Assuming the "copies" in the last post are not referring to hargett, rennline, tarret, eagle day, and the like...since none of those are garbage, all are good alternatives to oem, and all do their jobs very well. (Though I wish hargett would go the extra mile in final finish)

Can you point to an aftermarket "knockoff" that is garbage for comparison?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/380521238907

I bought a set of these- total garbage. Well- I should clarify. I think they can be used but it looks like there was an issue with the registration of the molds. The single plug holder that sticks out off the end of the cover is very thin. And if you look carefully at the other holes you can see the registration issue clearly. Probably could be fixed with some flap wheel work of a file. Holes need to be tapped as well.

On top of that they had damage when arrived definitely happened before shipping (no damage to the boxes what so ever) however seller wanted to file a claim. They did send me another set however- and they have quality issues as well but no damage at least. To me they look like seconds from a bad run at the factory.

Pete
Old 05-17-2020, 04:15 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by gunnar falck
Hi all, looking at the pricy rennline alu covers, thinking you have to change valve cover gaskets anyways how often?

Looking at mine, original covers, lower gasket changed by me 4 years ago feels like new. Upper ones not changed in my 10 year-ownership, maybe not changed at all, hard as a rock, the cause of leack I think. Doing the change of gaskets every 6 or so years keeping the original covers could do for me, or would you guys talk me in to benefits with alu rennline covers between the 6 year period?

Even alu covers needs fresh gaskets once in a while?

Gunnar
The only benefit is price. If you have mag covers and they are rotted to the point that they leak then the aftermarket units are much cheaper than a set of factory aluminum.

None of the aftermarket units have the plug boot holder that I have seen. Has that been an issue for anyone??
Old 05-17-2020, 05:56 AM
gunnar falck
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To clearify; My originals covers from ‘96 «black plastic», or mag? is looking fine, so I wonder if new gaskets every 6 years will keep me happy from leaks.

Put it another way, how often is gasketchanges needed for billett alum cover rennliners?

G
Old 05-19-2020, 09:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by gunnar falck
To clearify; My originals covers from ‘96 «black plastic», or mag? is looking fine, so I wonder if new gaskets every 6 years will keep me happy from leaks.

Put it another way, how often is gasketchanges needed for billett alum cover rennliners?

G
Wrong forum. The MY '96 would be 993 and they used a different valve cover. I haven't had issues with either the plastic for the 993 or aluminum for the 964. Even the older mag covers if not badly degraded can be salvaged. Rubber does shrink over time so they eventually will need replacing even though your engine doesn't require the 15k mile valve adjustment. Billet, cast or plastic the rubber is the issue not the cover. .
Old 05-19-2020, 02:30 PM
gunnar falck
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noted.

Quick Reply: latest on Aluminium Valve Covers