Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How long do you plan to keep your 964?
I'm selling now!
1.60%
Thinking of selling, not gelling with this arse-engine car.
0.53%
Had it long enough, time for a different 911 experience
1.60%
Had it long enough, time for a different type of car.
3.21%
Many more years, it's a fun car to have.
25.13%
10+ years, I hope never to have to sell it.
39.04%
I plan to be buried in it!
28.88%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

How long to you plan to keep your 964?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 05:45 AM
pcarplayer
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just can't see myself selling it. If i did it would only be for another pcar. 997 GT3 perhaps, last of the manuals...
Old 11-01-2014, 08:13 AM
Crz21
Intermediate

I'm keeping mine till I'm ready to pop my clogs
I've managed to keep the 964 despite being made redundant twice in the last 18 months. Car is now having a full glass out body restoration so I ain't parting with it under any circumstances. I plan to enjoy it for many many many years to come
Old 11-01-2014, 11:18 AM
Archer305
Intermediate

Looks like I'm all by myself in the poll as "selling." Not thrilled about it, but trying to do the wise thing and put the money to better use elsewhere. I'm hoping that I can forget about the car over time and find something that I enjoy driving nearly as much as this one. The 964 has been the best fitting car for me regarding what I like in a car, and I hope that I'll find something in the future that will press those right buttons for me!
Old 11-02-2014, 10:48 AM
YaHoo!
Racer

I plan on having mine forever. Due to an accident I've been without one for 4 months now and am going through serious withdrawal. I finally found a new one which I'll pick up in a week! There was never a question that my replacement car was going to be another 964.

While my Dad and brother have always been Porsche nuts and have had many, I've always had trucks and not really cared about cars. I bought a Mini Cooper S for my wife and I enjoyed the twisties in that. Shortly thereafter my Dad was going to sell his 964 and I needed a commuter as my truck has 267,000 miles on it. Honestly while I loved the looks of the 964, in my drives before the sale I wasn't enamored by it because compared to the Mini to was primitive and outdated. Regardless I bought the car and now, ironically, it is that rawness that I absolutely love and can't do without!

It's not for everybody - bro loves the 993s (he has a C2S) and Dad has a Cayman S. When we get together I get to drive them all and then get back into the best of them, my 964. Best part is that they are thinking the same thing about their P-Car!
Old 11-02-2014, 11:32 AM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 183 Posts

I sold my 964 C4 coupe to a rennlister recently. I had a bad case of GT3 Fever. My 91 C2 Targa is here for the duration, never selling !
Attached Images   
Old 11-03-2014, 10:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,180 Posts

If you own or want a car that offers what everything else offers today the 964 is not the car for you. A well set up 964 offers something the average driver cannot understand or appreciate. As nice as some of these newer cars are they will come and go and the 964's will stay. You can't build a car today that offers what the 964 does. In fact the boxster as nice as it was is going soon. It was fun for a while but has become boring over time. If they could build a car that offers the visceral feel and connection to the road with some newer features the way these cars do I would consider selling until that day they are staying.

Although everything is sold eventually they would have to pay me huge money for any of my 964's to even consider selling.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:40 PM
dave964diver
Racer

Originally Posted by cobalt
If you own or want a car that offers what everything else offers today the 964 is not the car for you. A well set up 964 offers something the average driver cannot understand or appreciate. As nice as some of these newer cars are they will come and go and the 964's will stay. You can't build a car today that offers what the 964 does. In fact the boxster as nice as it was is going soon. It was fun for a while but has become boring over time. If they could build a car that offers the visceral feel and connection to the road with some newer features the way these cars do I would consider selling until that day they are staying.

Although everything is sold eventually they would have to pay me huge money for any of my 964's to even consider selling.
What he said 😀

Had an a few earlier cars and a few later ones the 964 captures the best of both. The appeal is something unique amongst it's contemporaries. Hope to keep it long time.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:03 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah, I've had her for 13 years now and can't see it going away a any time soon. I doubt my driving skills will ever exceed the abilities of my 964 and the smile factor has never decreased over time so I'm still extremely happy with the car. Add to the fact that over that period I have learned a hell of a lot about the care and feeding of this car. I think it's a keeper!

Jim G.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:46 AM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never planned to sell. Had mine 13 years and then it was totaled a year ago. I will likely get another down the road.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:38 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, I don't own a 964 but I think the same applies to any appreciating car...

If my car keeps going up in value to silly numbers, then I'll consider selling it. I don't think a 3.2 or 993 will ever reach to $100,000 or more but if it did I would probably sell. At a certain point the fun gets sucked out of ownership. An extremely valuable car can be a pain in the neck to own. Will someone rear-end me? Where can I safely park this thing? I actually don't like seeing the air cooled market sky rocket like it has.

There was a Ferrari 275 that sold for $25 million recently. Can you imagine what it would cost to insure that thing? Driving it in traffic...? Sell it! There is a lot of enjoyable things you can do in life with that kind of money.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:27 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
If my car keeps going up in value to silly numbers, then I'll consider selling it. I don't think a 3.2 or 993 will ever reach to $100,000 or more but if it did I would probably sell. At a certain point the fun gets sucked out of ownership. An extremely valuable car can be a pain in the neck to own. Will someone rear-end me? Where can I safely park this thing? I actually don't like seeing the air cooled market sky rocket like it has.
Agreed!

Our 964's are not in the extremely valuable sector and I don't think it will ever get there BUT I do worry when I take out my 964 for a drive. I find that I will not drive her when going out for dinner or any event that will require parking for a long time.

I'm kinda lucky in that I have another summer car that I can use.
Old 11-04-2014, 04:09 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KNS

There was a Ferrari 275 that sold for $25 million recently. Can you imagine what it would cost to insure that thing? Driving it in traffic...? Sell it! There is a lot of enjoyable things you can do in life with that kind of money.
I agree to a degree. I have that problem with my 94 turbo now. Hagerty has it valued at $38k when it is worth < $238K. So it is now a show car that gets taken out occasionally. I stopped driving these cars for basic use years ago long before they became valuable. If I want a Porsche for a DD I would buy a new one. My biggest fear is a scratch or slight ding damaging the original paint and devaluing the car. That is why I took my very clean low mileage 93 C2 off the track and am building a dedicated track car out of a 964 that was too far gone to restore at these values.

If you can afford a $25M car I doubt the insurance will break the bank.

The difference between these cars and the Ferrari is the Ferrari is more than likely already restored and if something happens the insurance will cover the cost to repair it. It is rare that these cars are in pristine original condition so it doesn't matter if you drive it into a wall it can almost always be corrected and it is still a rare and desirable car. You can build one from scratch for $4million if you had the Vin plate and sell it as the same car. That has been done with a particular 250 GTO back in the late 80's and it sold for $52million a few years back if I am not mistaken.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:06 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Would love to be buried in it, but reality dictates that I sell it when the kids hit college to pay for a few books.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:11 AM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love my 964 Speedster, but with recent valuations - tempted to lock in profits...
Old 11-06-2014, 08:57 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blake
Love my 964 Speedster, but with recent valuations - tempted to lock in profits...
Will you be kicking yourself if the values continue to rise as they are in a year or two from now?

Quick Reply: How long to you plan to keep your 964?