Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting better at track days

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 01:16 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

To follow up with what KaiB said about practice what we do on the track on the road. One of the things I tell my students to practice on the road is turn ins and braking.
For turn ins - when you make a turn determine how much steering input you need to make the complete turn. Put that much in and see if you have it right ( no further adjustment until you exit the turn ). This will help you develop smoothness on your turns. And within your lane you can do the outside, inside, outside routine.
For braking, trying picking a point on the road in front as you come to a red light or stop sign. Apply brake pressure evenly and hard enough so that you stop at the point you set as a stop point. See how close you can get to being on the mark. The white line at traffic lights works well. If no traffic is around you can be a little more aggressive in stopping. If you are going to brake hard make sure NO ONE is tailing you close.
In both cases always be and think safe, but these two practices can help improve your skills significantly.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:30 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

lots of great points above as ever

you'll learn more with a coach in an afternoon than by yourself in a month from my experience
in car vids via GoPro etc.. also great for review and reminding yourself

Quick Reply: Getting better at track days