Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

favourite mods and least favourite mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:29 PM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

KaiB - is that because a "short tranny" is a lot of $$$?
Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 PM
PhatPhlatSix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KaiB
Interesting that nobody has mentioned a nice short tranny...
A vertically-challenged cross-dresser???
Old 10-21-2014, 12:41 PM
ScottR
Racer

Originally Posted by PhatPhlatSix
That's not a mod I'd like to make to mine!

Originally Posted by greg1990964
I agree on the basket handle 933 spoiler mid. Looks like *** on a coupe. It came on the 91' black coupe. Been thinking if removing it and filling holes and repainting the deck lid and frunk. Deck lid has a crease and frunk kid is shotgunned.
Interesting to see a couple of people say they don't like cat bypass. Why is that? Noise or green?
I agree - I've got one and I hate it. Whenever mine goes in for a spot of paint on the rear it's coming off.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:00 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PhatPhlatSix
ZOOM!!!!!
Old 10-21-2014, 02:25 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

The good:
Contemporary accelerometers thanks to fellow rennlister
993RS weighted shift *** feels fantastic and is bigger diameter.
Bilstein hd w Eibach springs
C2 rear swaybar on a C4
Front strut brace
Cup 1 wheels for summer. Still use D90 for winter narrower tires w higher sidewalls
Oem sport seats.
Hargett adjustable gas pedal. Transforms the driving experience since you can now actually downshift smoothly while hard on the brakes
H4 headlights
Reinforce the belt tension sensor with a small bolt and a couple washers
Reinforce the Rollpin in the pedal cluster in the same manner or change to a bolt.
Rennline reinforced engine carrier
Holes in the airbox for a bit of induction noise
10mm steering stops for larger wheels
Steve wong chip. Highly recommend.

I'm sure I'm missing a ton. and when you do a top end rebuild, talk to Steve Weiner abt options. He built me very nice original heads wth 993 intake valves and upgraded springs and ti retainers. Not really a performance mod, but they will be less likely to fail, which is nice.

And then there is alignment, which is an individual choice as to setup. But from stock form in the US you really have to lower the car. If only to not look like an SUV.

The bad:
The only things I have reversed are the exhaust. I had a cup pipe, then went to a g pipe, and now back to stock. None of these are performance mods with the exception of putting the stock exhaust back on. But I like the sound of a cup pipe. I like the sound of a g pipe better.. But the car runs better with the stock exhaust. But in the summer I may go back to the g pipe just for the rumble. Idk. It's fun.

The really bad: single pulley conversion. Bad choice for a street car. The alternator doesn't make enough amperage under 3k rpm, and so you lose a lot of throttle response down there and the car becomes much less drive able. So maybe not a bad idea for a track car, but for a street car, it sucked. Much better now that I reverted.

I'll probably think of a thousand things I did to this car after I hit send. But as far as "performance and feel" mods, I think that's my main list...I didn't get into interior upholstery, stereo, or the super special porsche badge on the front that popped off prompting me to go back to original...la la la...or the yellow h4 lenses, Cuz all that stuff is foof...
Old 10-21-2014, 02:44 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

My favorites-

For a C4- Swapping to the 19mm C2 rear swaybar. Amazing what +1mm diameter will do.
RS height & alignment- Works great on city streets, and even looks good. Stock US/RoW front camber settings are understeer-city.
KW V3- Perfect dual-duty combination. Comfortable street driving on softer settings, and competitively firm on harder settings.
Wevo engine mounts- Really do make the whole car feel like a tighter package.
Unmodded exhaust- 250hp is not enough to be loud.

Edit: Wise list from Goughary above!
Old 10-21-2014, 04:27 PM
porsche mania
Pro

Good.
Removing weight. To start with its even free, but not for long!
Suspension and Rs roll bars.
light weight Rs door card's and carpet set. It's completely transformed my car.

Bad.
don't like big spoilers on narrow body cars.
Not keen on more modern Porsche wheels on an 964's

Other than that it's all gravy. The one mod I really want is as kai says and that's the short tranny. Unless he wasn't joking that is! After removing weight and adding suspension it's got to be the best upgrade if going to the track is the plan.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:08 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OH YES IT IS...and worth saving for.

I'll never forget my awakening, even back in 1970 with the Muncie M-22 short box, and then again in the early eighties when I put a short Getrag box in my Hartge 323i.

Trust me, you can look at all the charts in the world and get all the interweb advice available, but a 5 speed box in our 964s with a stock first and 1.04 fifth is the bees knees.

"as along as you're in there"...a Guard LSD will do the job nicely also.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:08 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary
The really bad: single pulley conversion. Bad choice for a street car. The alternator doesn't make enough amperage under 3k rpm, and so you lose a lot of throttle response down there and the car becomes much less drive able. So maybe not a bad idea for a track car, but for a street car, it sucked. Much better now that I reverted.
I'd totally concur with Rob; I never recommend this for anything but track use for these very reasons.

Originally Posted by KaiB
Trust me, you can look at all the charts in the world and get all the interweb advice available, but a 5 speed box in our 964s with a stock first and 1.04 fifth is the bees knees.
24 kt gold advice. A proper-chosen set of gears makes a much bigger improvement in overall performance than almost anything else and that includes a 3.8 kit!

One can choose a street car gearstack or something more track oriented and that sheer flexibility is why this should come before any serious engine modifications.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:39 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

So what are we looking at price wise for a short set of gears, 2nd thru 5th for a street use tranny. I know it's hard to give a accurate price before you look at the internals, but a ball park figure would be of interest to many I am sure.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:31 PM
greg1990964
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are new trannys and complete motor upgrades to 3.8 liters really mods? It would seem heading into the complete rebuilding end of things. So much for sticky brake pads and ugly spoilers..too rich for my blood.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:20 AM
Mikke_Possu
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
24 kt gold advice. A proper-chosen set of gears makes a much bigger improvement in overall performance than almost anything else and that includes a 3.8 kit!

One can choose a street car gearstack or something more track oriented and that sheer flexibility is why this should come before any serious engine modifications.
Is it so that those are only available for G50, not for G64?

My good mod:
H&R Sway bars, 26 and 24mm
Proper wheel alignment
Rennline adjustable gas pedal

Not so good mod:
sport clutch (really heavy to use)
Ruf steering wheel. (too thick for me)
Old 10-22-2014, 04:08 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Goughary
The really bad:
single pulley conversion. Bad choice for a street car. The alternator doesn't make enough amperage under 3k rpm, and so you lose a lot of throttle response down there and the car becomes much less drive able. So maybe not a bad idea for a track car, but for a street car, it sucked. Much better now that I reverted.
I'm struggling to get my head around this,

I've read about the loss of charge due to the slower running of the single belt, so if you run with lights aircon heating and stero on in traffic, you could end up with battery issues

However I have never read anywhere that a single pulley has any negative impact on the way the car runs, and if it does, why would it affect throttle response?

Personally I have only recently changed to single pulley, and my car is driven more on track than it is the road currently so it probably wouldnt bother me anyway. However keen to understand the what the issues are supposed to be

Last edited by freedman; 10-22-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:20 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been running with the single pulley for several months now and noticed no difference in the cars behaviour. I've checked out the alternator voltage at idle too. All good. (I have no aircon, stereo, or rear fan)
I appreciate there is a greater potential for an issue if you run around with the aircon on or the fans on high but I can't understand how this would make your engine feel sluggish.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:26 AM
Ducks964
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a RS pulley for years before adding the supercharger(it is set up the same way as a RS pulley since it uses a serpentine belt) with no issues. I thought charging was okay after 2000 rpm's.

Quick Reply: favourite mods and least favourite mods