Sponsored by:

Brake pad advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Rub
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad advice needed

Newbie poster here. So, I've had my 964 for a while now, and am needing to replace all the brake rotors and pads. I've sourced a set of slotted stoptech rotors, but am having trouble finding suitable replacement pads, and a vendor to purchase them from.

The car is a 1990 C2, but has had the rear calipers replaced to 4 pot, and the brake bias proportioning valve changed out accordingly. From the previous owner's paperwork, the calipers are from a later model 964 - not sure whether later model c2 had these, or c4. I haven't been able to pull off the calipers yet to look for part #'s, but if from another 964 model, would the rear calipers fit the same size pads as the front?

The car was running PFC 97 pads. Was happy with their performance, and could live with their occasional squeakiness.

I've had HP plus on another car, but it seemed like the combo with stoptech rotors was horrendous for noise, so trying to find an alternate pad option for the front and rear. I normally run aggressive pads, even though my cars are mostly street driven with the occasional track day or autox.

Any recommendations for similar pads, sizes f/r, and where to purchase?

Thanks in advance for any guidance
Old 10-06-2014, 06:39 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Rub
...., would the rear calipers fit the same size pads as the front?
yes, front and rear 4 piston 964 calipers use the same pads.

Originally Posted by Rub
The car was running PFC 97 pads. Was happy with their performance, and could live with their occasional squeakiness.

I've had HP plus on another car, but it seemed like the combo with stoptech rotors was horrendous for noise, so trying to find an alternate pad option for the front and rear. I normally run aggressive pads, even though my cars are mostly street driven with the occasional track day or autox.

Any recommendations for similar pads, sizes f/r, and where to purchase?

Thanks in advance for any guidance
Most people are happy w/ PFCs an alternate is Pagid RS19 or 29, I like the 29s.

Apex Performance in SC is a good source
Old 10-06-2014, 07:43 PM
Rub
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. It seems that PFC 97 was however discontinued - what is the approximate replacement, the 11 compound?
Old 10-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Brake pad requirements

Give me a call in the morning and we can go over options.
The 97 compound is long gone but they have come up with a successor called 07 compound. The only problem is they aren't making this compound in all Porsche pad shapes.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor

Quick Reply: Brake pad advice needed