Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Problem Sagas Part III; advice sought.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 09:36 PM
Mr.Alex
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake Problem Sagas Part III; advice sought.

As some of you may know from my previous nagging posts, my brake booster was said to be faulty by a shop when I was getting a valve adjustment, and I've been driving that way for over a year now. Waiting on a time to get a brake booster rebuild or a refurbished unit.

Recently I was able to snag a working booster for almost nothing, and yesterday I went to rent a lift at a shop to swap it out. After I removed my non-functioning one, I was able to see that my used replacement was missing the 'pin' that slides into the master cylinder, so I removed the one from my old one, fitted it into the master cylinder, and then slid it into the brake booster.

Would this type of fit be a problem? Technically the pin has no way to move about and its natural place is to sit inside the master cylinder, its just that its not 'fixed' into the brake booster?

HOWEVER, after all was patched up and the system bled (both caliper nipples and the master cylinder with power bleeder), I now have a majority soft peddal and then some serious grab about halfway in. Its not really 'safe' to drive. The pedal also does not firm up/build pressure upon pumping it.

So now to my options:

1:Perhaps my pin patch for the brake booster is not working, although I can hear everything compress.

2:Buy a good, used master cylinder.

3:Go with the Centric or Raybestos rebuilt units? [Anyone have any quality info on Raybestos?]

4:Buy the 993 Booster and Master, along with the 10-12mm adapter fittings for the brake lines.

Old 09-27-2014, 11:52 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Option 4. Future proof for big red.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:16 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

4. Do it once, do it right
Old 09-28-2014, 05:20 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

#4 -> brakes are the most important element on your car.

Unless it's simple seals, get new stuff.

Quick Reply: Brake Problem Sagas Part III; advice sought.