Sponsored by:

Euro Plate Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 03:00 PM
trendo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Euro Plate Install

Hi guys, I always hated how US style plates don't really fit the front bumper, so I never ran one. Unfortunately, a naked front bumper complete with license plate mounting holes does not look much better. Here in Hawaii we are required to have a front plate, so my cars are always illegal. Now with the euro plate (with matching number to back plate) i am......... still illegal. I do however, think it looks much better.

I ordered the plate from germanplates.com (no affiliation) because they were the cheapest to Hawaii. The quality of the plate looks to be good, and seems on par with a "real" plate. Unfortunately, the mounting bracket it comes with is complete crap, and unless your bumper is completely flat (which ours aren't) its going to stick out. I found a solution which seems to be durable, and removable. I need it to be removable so I can mount a real front plate for my yearly state inspection.

I have used these strips before to mount things to walls. They are extremely strong. Think of it as improved velcro, each strip is rated at 16 lbs. A pack of four was on sale at Kmart for 4$ Also, if you ever want to remove it completely, the adhesive comes off without leaving a bunch of junk on the paint.

"real" plate

Just attach the strips to the back of the plate. I used four, but I think I am going to add two more.

Pull the adhesive and press plate to car, this will transfer the backing to the bumper.

And your done! Super simple and clean. Plus its removable.

Before:

After:

Old 09-26-2014, 04:06 PM
964Carrera4
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good!!

Another option for those who don't want to use adhesive strips on their bumper, is to buy a Euro frame bracket/mounting hardware.

I used one on my 964 and was able to just use the two stock mounting screw points in the bumper to secure the Euro frame mount to the bumper. Once the mounting
bracket is attached, you just slide in the Euro plate and secure it with the plastic track strip at the bottom of the frame.

I bought my plate and frame hardware from a company based here in Seattle:
http://www.europeanplates.com/
Attached Images   
Old 09-26-2014, 06:34 PM
trendo
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^^^^ Thats the kit that it came with. It certainly does the job, but I used the strips to get it more flush with the opening. Had to shape the plate a bit.

Quick Reply: Euro Plate Install