Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That was quick

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 01:23 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congratulations, this should be a wonderful car for you.

Please do rethink the manual rack and seriously consider using an electric pump; Jeff can hook you up and you can thank me later. Were it me, I'd also install a secondary oil cooler while the other work is being performed.

I've been there and done all of that and consider the rack money VERY well spent. The secondary cooler might be debatable for limited track use (up to a point), but there is NO better time to do it than now and it can certainly only help.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:50 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In 1994, I had the opportunity to discuss with Jurgen Barth, then head of Porsche's Customer Race Car program and one of the minds behind the 911 Carrera 4 Leichtbau (RS), whether I should go ahead and put an additional oil cooler on my RS America. He told me that Porsche had determined that an additional oil cooler was not necessary unless the engine was producing 300 horsepower. The Leichtbau (Lighweight) was estimated to have had about 265 horsepower or perhaps slightly more. You may note for reference that the Carrera RS (964) did not have an additional oil cooler, nor did the earlier Carrera 4 Leichbau (RS), which was built for potential competition. (Jurgen Barth gave me the Porsche factory parts catalog for the Leichtbau, and I just checked that catalog for confirmation. Interestingly enough, that car does use power steering by the way.) Now, you may choose to do whatever you like, call me a liar, listen to whatever or whoever motivates you, but that's what Jurgen told me and that's why I don't have another oil cooler on my RS America. Here's an article on the Leichtbau (Lightweight) that you may find interesting. http://www.topmostcars.com/1991-pors...4-lightweight/
Old 09-12-2014, 02:19 PM
PAOLOP
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu RS
Here's an article on the Leichtbau (Lightweight) that you may find interesting. http://www.topmostcars.com/1991-pors...4-lightweight/
Interesting but something is wrong (IMHO): the gearbox is the same of C4, different are the R&P
Old 09-12-2014, 02:23 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With you all the way, however, my experience tells me differently.

After the first phase of my build, when the car was still dual purpose, I found oil temps to come up too high for comfort on the track and would often end my sessions early.

Tracking for fun or racing for less than a plastic trophy are not the same things as factory supported racing. Engines get torn down far more often and maintenance is performed on an advanced schedule. The simple installation of a secondary cooler, done when the rest of the car is in the shop for a veritable raft of other things only makes sense to me.

If a guy is not tracking hard enough to run temps above a comfortable level, then fine, but running hard will indeed get temps up....why run the risk when the solution is so very easy to obtain.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:04 AM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't see the need for another oil cooler. This car won't see much track time.

My goal is to duplicate the RS as much as possible. Only 1 oil cooler.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:10 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

Hi Joe,

Good to see you on the board again. As much as you miss your Blue RS I miss the chance I had to buy it! Damn... Such is life. Glad you are back into a 964. What a hoot these cars are! I must admit that I thought the power steering was a dream come true in my 91, but now that I have the RSA, I simply LOVE the manual rack! Nothing like feeling the road and what the suspension is doing at all times up front, especially when you are pushing the car with gusto. Enjoy the build!

How do you like your 3.8 RS? Is it a keeper?

Cheers! Chris
Old 09-15-2014, 03:54 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats and look forward to seeing your build, you got a great platform to start from. Building a 964 RS tribute is on my bucket list.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Chris,

Good to see you are still in the game.

My goal is to duplicate the blue car as much as possible.

My 993 3.8 cup car will morph into a street hot rod. Eventually going back to stock to maximize tins value if I ever sell it.

I agree manual rack is a must for the true RS experience.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:46 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Your avatar looks like a 2010/11 3.8 RS. Is that true?
Old 09-16-2014, 01:15 AM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Yep

Smith found it for me.

Way better than I thought it would be.

Amazing how much better it is than my 07.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:07 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

So how do you compare the two 3.8 RS and 964 RS? Which set of keys would you grab more often?
Old 09-16-2014, 06:47 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts

Where did you find the manual rack? I have been looking for one for my project 964. Any help is greatly appreciated. I had just about given up and gone the Cup route.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:05 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Both are great cars. 997 RS is nasty fast does everything right. The sound is amazing. It saves you when you go to fast. Does things on the street that will quickly land you in jail. The best car I have ever driven period. You do not need any more car as far as power and levels of grip on the street.

964 RS is perfect. Feels raw handles great, turn in and power is perfectly matched to the car. You can hang the *** end out under 100, handling is predictable, car is Light and nimble. The look, sound, smell, interior and gauges instantly take me back to all the early cars I have enjoyed. It is the pinnacle of the original 911 design.

I think I would reach for the 964 RS keys more often for a spirited drive. 997 RS more so for a small road trip or when I want to scare myself.

I need both cars to scratch my addiction. I can't wait for my 993 RSR street hot rod to be done. Race car on the street should be interesting.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Originally Posted by bogey1
Where did you find the manual rack? I have been looking for one for my project 964. Any help is greatly appreciated. I had just about given up and gone the Cup route.
Jeff Gamroth said he could find one. It won't be cheap. I will keep you updated when I get serious this winter in locating parts.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:00 AM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 110 Posts

Thank you. I am not familiar with Jeff. Is he associated with a specific shop? My car is right in the middle of a complete rebuild to a 4.0, and then being converted to a 73 RSR. I would've to find that rack to replace the feel I had in my old RSA.

Quick Reply: That was quick